Tension Calculations for Hanging a Sign at a 30° Angle | Homework Help

In summary, Joe needs to hang a sign weighing 775 N with cable A at a 30.0° angle and cable B horizontal. The sign is in equilibrium, so the sum of the forces in the x and y directions must be zero. Using a free body diagram, equations for the horizontal and vertical components of the forces can be set up, with the tension in the cables being the unknowns. After solving for the tension in cable A, it can be substituted into the equation for cable B to find its tension. After finding the tensions in both cables, Joe can successfully hang the sign.
liz155
Joe wishes to hang a sign weighing 775 N so that cable A attached to the store makes a 30.0° angle, as shown in Figure 7-16. Cable B is horizontal and attached to an adjoining building.

I have no idea where to start. Thanks for any help. :-)

--Cori

Attachments

• 7-16.gif
    7-16.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 1,012
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a Free Body Diagram and then begin with summing the forces in the x and y directions, and possibly taking a moment too.

Sorry, I still don't understand. Could you maybe explain in more detail? I attached a picture of the diagram in my book if that helps. :-)

Since the sign is in equilibrium the sum of the components of the forces need to be zero.
Can you set the two equations up for the horizontal and vertical components of the forces? I assume that you need to determine the tensions in the cables.

What are you solving for specifically? Are you looking for tension in the cables. If so, I believe you can probably start with something like this:

Do you free body diagram and for the equations consider the ones below:

Fx=Fsin(theta)
Fy=Fcos(theta)

I believe since you know the sign is 775N you have a starting point there. You can start with cable A and substitute what you know for A in place of F. You already have Theta (the angle). This should get you going.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I finally got the answer, and when I checked with my teacher... it was right!

Thanks!

1. What is tension in the context of homework help?

Tension in the context of homework help refers to the feeling of stress or pressure that students often experience when completing assignments. It can be caused by various factors such as a tight deadline, difficulty understanding the material, or fear of not meeting expectations.

2. How can tension affect a student's academic performance?

Tension can negatively impact a student's academic performance in several ways. It can lead to difficulty concentrating, increased anxiety, and ultimately, lower grades. Tension can also cause students to rush through their work and make careless mistakes, resulting in a lower quality of work.

3. What are some strategies for managing tension when completing homework?

Some strategies for managing tension when completing homework include breaking tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks, setting a realistic timeline, taking breaks to relax and refocus, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and practicing stress-relieving techniques such as deep breathing and mindfulness.

4. How can parents and teachers support students in managing tension related to homework?

Parents and teachers can support students in managing tension related to homework by setting realistic expectations, providing a supportive and understanding environment, offering resources and tools for time management and organization, and encouraging open communication about any difficulties or challenges the student may be facing.

5. Is it normal to feel tension when completing homework?

Yes, it is normal to feel tension when completing homework. Homework is often a significant source of stress for students, and it is natural to feel some level of pressure or anxiety. However, if the tension becomes overwhelming and consistently interferes with a student's well-being and academic performance, it may be helpful to seek additional support and strategies for managing it.