Why No Homework Helper Badges for gneill & SammyS?

• Complaint
  • Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, members are discussing the lack of "Homework Helper" recognitions for users who have written over 1000 posts helping students with homework questions. The staff will review these members and consider member input for nominations. A policy states that a member must have at least 600 posts, regardless of their gender. The conversation also includes nominations for specific members and a discussion on statistics and probability. The conversation concludes with a reminder to contact mentors if a member deserves recognition.
Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Thank you for your nominations!

Oh! so we have to nominate homework helpers here? I thought PF mentors are responsible for that.

Yes staff is usually responsible for nominations, but I'm not going to ignore your input.

Abdul Quadeer said:
Oh! so we have to nominate homework helpers here? I thought PF mentors are responsible for that.

The staff nominate, but they all listen to members input, especially when not all of the staff are actively involved in the HW forum. So if a member thinks that another member deserves the recognition, by all means, mention that here, or contact a mentor directly.

Zz.

I nominate "I Like Serena". She might not have reached 1000 yet, but she's incredibly helpful.

micromass said:
...there's a policy that a member must have 600 posts...

Is that in denary?

jhae2.718 said:
Is that in denary?

No, that is in (mod 601), so somebody with -1 post could also qualify...

Femme_physics said:
I nominate "I Like Serena". She might not have reached 1000 yet, but she's incredibly helpful.
I could be wrong, but my guess is that I Like Serena is a guy.

50-50 chance...

jhae2.718 said:
50-50 chance...
I'd say more like 60-40 or 70-30 in favor of being a guy. His/her profile page says degree in CS and math, which tend to be more male oriented, unless things have changed a lot since I was in school.

Mark44 said:
I'd say more like 60-40 or 70-30 in favor of being a guy. His/her profile page says degree in CS and math, which tend to be more male oriented, unless things have changed a lot since I was in school.

I don't know, when I was studying mathematics, then I was the only male in a class of 15...

I think we need to get some statistics and work out the probability.

I can't find any recent numbers.

jhae2.718 said:
50-50 chance...

More like 0% or 100%.

I nominate that penguin guy. Sometimes he knows his stuff.

Pengwuino said:
I nominate that penguin guy. Sometimes he knows his stuff.

Ah but does he know anybody else's?

DaveC426913 said:
Ah but does he know anybody else's?

I know your stuff!

You have to past a quiz first:

Calculate the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum in furlongs per fortnight.

jhae2.718 said:
You have to past a quiz first:

Calculate the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum in furlongs per fortnight.

Easy. 1 Sheep-speed.

That question was as easy as "What is the mass of the Sun?" "One solar mass".

Pengwuino said:
Easy. 1 Sheep-speed.

That question was as easy as "What is the mass of the Sun?" "One solar mass".

Or what is the mass of 1 kilogram :wink:

Locked pending moderation decision.

If you think someone deserves a recognition, don't hesitate to contact one of the mentors to point us to the user. Be sure we will take your recommendations into consideration.

1. Why are gneill & SammyS not given homework helper badges?

The process for earning homework helper badges is based on a point system, where users accumulate points by providing helpful answers to homework questions. Gneill & SammyS may not have accumulated enough points to earn the badge yet.

2. Can gneill & SammyS earn homework helper badges in the future?

Yes, as long as gneill & SammyS continue to provide helpful answers to homework questions, they can accumulate enough points to earn the badge in the future.

3. Are gneill & SammyS not qualified to be homework helpers?

Homework helpers on this platform are not chosen based on qualifications, but rather on their helpfulness and accuracy in providing answers to homework questions. Gneill & SammyS may not have earned the badge yet due to the point system.

4. Is it fair that other users have homework helper badges while gneill & SammyS do not?

The process for earning homework helper badges is based on a point system and is open to all users. It is based on individual effort and helpfulness, so it is fair that some users may have the badge while others do not.

5. How can I become a homework helper like gneill & SammyS?

To become a homework helper, you must consistently provide helpful and accurate answers to homework questions. This will accumulate points and eventually earn you the homework helper badge.