1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework question involving 2nd FTC, derivative of an integral

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that the function f : R → R is differentiable. Define the function H: R → R by
    H(x) = ∫−x to x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt for all x in R.
    Find H'' (x).
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i divided it up into ∫ 0 to x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt and -∫ from 0 to -x of [ f (t) + f (−t)]dt. then by the 2nd FTC, H '(x)=
    2[ f (x) + f (−x)], so H ''(x) should then be of 2[ f '(x) - f '(−x)]. I'm just not sure if the f(-t) changes anything besides the fact that when I differentiate f(-t) I use the chain rule and multiply by -1.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK up to here.

So $$ H(x) = -\int_0^{-x}(f(t) + f(-t))dt + \int_0^{x}(f(t) + f(-t))dt $$

Show me how you got H'(x).

4. Nov 3, 2012 #3
    so i am under the impression that d/dx of ∫f(t) dt = f(x), so taking each term, H'(x)= dH/dx of
    ∫0 to x [f(t)]= f(x)
    ∫0 to x [f(-t)]= f(-x)
    ∫0 to -x [f(t)]= f(-x)*-1
    ∫0 to -x [f(-t)]= f(x)*-1

so H'(x)= [f(x)+f(-x)]-(-1)[f(-x)+f(x)]=[f(x)+f(-x)]+[f(-x)+f(x)]=2[f(x)+f(-x)]

I am not sure if I am also supposed to be applying the chain rule at this step with the f(-t) derivative

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This looks fine. Now take the derivative again, keeping in mind that d/dx(f(-x)) = -f'(-x).

6. Nov 3, 2012 #5
    so H ''(x) should then be of 2[ f '(x) - f '(−x)].

7. Nov 3, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean, I hope, that [itex]d/dx \int_a^x f(t)dt[/itex] so that [itex]d/dx \int_x^a f(t)dt= d/dx\left(-\int_a^x f(t)dt\right)= -f(x)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook