Homework Question: required reductions in SO2 and PM10

• Thread starter zombie1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about an individual seeking help with a complex engineering problem related to air pollution control for a new coal-fired power plant. The individual apologizes for potentially posting in the wrong section and explains their lack of knowledge in the subject. The conversation then shifts to discussing the necessary reductions in SO2 and PM10 emissions to comply with NAAQS and NSPS, as well as the minimum distance the plant must be located from residential structures. The individual is advised to look up relevant abbreviations and formulas and to start by determining the required emission levels for compliance with regulations.
zombie1985
Wrong place to post this. I apologize. I found the HW sectionHello All, I need to figure out how to solve this question really fast. I appreciate your help in advance. Also new to this, so if i posted this to wrong section I apologize in advance.You are an engineer hired to assess the air pollution control needs of a new coal fired
power plant. The power plant is to be operated in a region where the same company operates several other coal fired power plants that were all built in the 1960s. The new power plant is planned to have 500 MW energy generating capacity. The next largest plant is 50 MW and each is emitting pollution at least twice the NSPS. Based on the design the power plant is planned to have a raw pollution rate of 4 times the NSPS for SO2 and 10 times the NSPS for PM10. To make things worse the region where this plant is to be built is already in non attainment for PM10 having a 24-hour mean concentration of 200μg/m^3. Also, local laws don't allow the local 24-hour average ground level concentration of PM10 to exceed twice the NAAQS levels at any residential structure, given a normal atmospheric class C and an average wind speed of 2.5m/s.

1) Determine the required reductions in SO2 and PM10 to be compliant with NAAQS and NSPS, and ultimately comply with the clean air act.

2) Determine the minimum distance the plant must be located away from any residential structure

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Urgent help on a Question!

Homework Statement

Hello All, I need to figure out how to solve this question really fast. I appreciate your help in advance. Also new to this, so if i posted this to wrong section I apologize in advance.You are an engineer hired to assess the air pollution control needs of a new coal fired
power plant. The power plant is to be operated in a region where the same company operates several other coal fired power plants that were all built in the 1960s. The new power plant is planned to have 500 MW energy generating capacity. The next largest plant is 50 MW and each is emitting pollution at least twice the NSPS. Based on the design the power plant is planned to have a raw pollution rate of 4 times the NSPS for SO2 and 10 times the NSPS for PM10. To make things worse the region where this plant is to be built is already in non attainment for PM10 having a 24-hour mean concentration of 200μg/m^3. Also, local laws don't allow the local 24-hour average ground level concentration of PM10 to exceed twice the NAAQS levels at any residential structure, given a normal atmospheric class C and an average wind speed of 2.5m/s.

1) Determine the required reductions in SO2 and PM10 to be compliant with NAAQS and NSPS, and ultimately comply with the clean air act.

2) Determine the minimum distance the plant must be located away from any residential structure

Homework Equations

No Relevant Equation, it's figure out on your own project type question.

The Attempt at a Solution

Have no idea how to attempt or where to begin.I'm just looking for help on how to begin this problem after that I can figure it out.

welcome to pf!

hi zombie1985! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hey Tiny-tim,
Thanks for replying. I just don't know where to begin :(. I just need help to figure how should I go about doing this problem/where to begin. I was thinking I can start off by figuring out the electricity produced and from there somehow figure out the S emission rate and particulate rate? Please let me know if my approach is wrong and if you have any suggestions.

zombie1985 said:
Have no idea how to attempt or where to begin.
You could look up all the abbreviations, their definitions, the formulas how they are calculated, and so on.
If you know them already: great! You can post them here.

hi zombie1985! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

generally, when there's a lot of facts, and you're not sure which ones are relevant, start by looking at the actual question at the end …
zombie1985 said:

so from the question, you need to start by deciding what the SO2 and PM10 levels should be :wink:

and then you can find the actual level by (as you say) figuring out the electricity produced etc :smile:

Thanks Tiny,
I am currently working on it. Once I get somewhere, I will post my calculations and approach here.

What are the required reductions in SO2 and PM10?

The required reductions in SO2 and PM10 refer to the amount of emissions that need to be reduced in order to meet air quality standards set by regulatory agencies. These standards are based on scientific research and aim to protect public health and the environment.

Why are reductions in SO2 and PM10 necessary?

SO2 and PM10 are air pollutants that can have negative impacts on human health, such as respiratory issues, and can also contribute to environmental issues like acid rain. By reducing these emissions, we can improve air quality and protect public health.

What methods can be used to achieve the required reductions?

There are various methods that can be used to reduce SO2 and PM10 emissions, including implementing emission controls on industrial and transportation sources, using cleaner fuels, and promoting energy efficiency. It may also involve changes in regulations and policies.

What are the benefits of achieving the required reductions?

The benefits of achieving the required reductions in SO2 and PM10 include improved air quality, which can lead to better public health, reduced environmental impacts, and compliance with regulatory standards. It can also lead to cost savings for industries as they implement more efficient and cleaner practices.

How can individuals contribute to achieving the required reductions?

Individuals can contribute to achieving the required reductions by practicing energy conservation and using alternative modes of transportation. They can also support and advocate for policies and regulations that aim to reduce emissions from industrial and transportation sources.