Understanding Homogeneous Differential Equation Simplification

In summary, the conversation was about simplifying the expression \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y-x}{y+x} to \frac{v-1}{v+1} by substituting y=vx into the right-hand side. This simplification was achieved by canceling out the common factor of x from the numerator and denominator, resulting in \frac{x(v-1)}{x(v+1)}=\frac{v-1}{v+1}. One of the speakers expressed their initial confusion but eventually understood after the explanation.
snowJT
This is a basic simplification, but I'm going to post this here because it becomes homogeneous, and I know [tex]v = \frac{y}{x}[/tex] but I don't see this simplification, I don't understand how it gets from this...

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y-x}{y+x}[/tex]

To THIS:

[tex] = \frac{v-1}{v+1}[/tex] (I'm just only showing the RHS here)

If someone wouldn't mind explaining it, that would be great because I'm lost, unless this is a special rule.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, let y=vx, then sub into the RHS and you get [tex]\frac{vx-x}{vx+x}=\frac{x(v-1)}{x(v+1)}=\frac{v-1}{v+1}[/tex]

oh wow, that's incredible, I get it, thanks cristo

snowJT said:
oh wow, that's incredible, I get it, thanks cristo
You're welcome!

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation in which all terms contain the dependent variable and its derivatives. In other words, the equation can be written in the form F(x,y,y',y'',...) = 0, where F is a function of the variables x and y and their derivatives.

2. How do you simplify a homogeneous differential equation?

To simplify a homogeneous differential equation, you can use the substitution method. This involves substituting y = vx, where v is a new variable, into the equation and solving for v. Then, you can replace v with y/x and solve for y.

3. Why is it useful to simplify a homogeneous differential equation?

By simplifying a homogeneous differential equation, we can reduce the order of the equation and make it easier to solve. This can also help us to better understand the behavior of the system described by the equation.

4. Can all homogeneous differential equations be simplified?

No, not all homogeneous differential equations can be simplified. Some equations may require more complex methods of solving, such as the use of power series or numerical methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of homogeneous differential equations?

Homogeneous differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various systems and their behaviors. Examples include population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.