Homology and Integration; Req. for Proof.

In summary: It says for every smooth function f there is a 1-form h(f) such that the integral of h over all the curves intersecting the function at points is the same. This follows from the Cauchy-Riemann equations.
Bacle
Hi, All:
Let D be a domain (open+ connected) in the complex plane.

I was wondering if someone had a ref. for the proof that if two
curves C,C' in D are homotopic, thenfor f in C^1(D), Int_C F= Int_C' f, and/or if this
theorem has a standard name.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bacle said:
Hi, All:
Let D be a domain (open+ connected) in the complex plane.

I was wondering if someone had a ref. for the proof that if two
curves C,C' in D are homotopic, thenfor f in C^1(D), Int_C F= Int_C' f, and/or if this
theorem has a standard name.

Thanks.

What is C^1(D)?

I meant f is continuously-differentiable in D. This seems like it may be
a corollary of Green's thm., but I am not sure.

Bacle said:
I meant f is continuously-differentiable in D. This seems like it may be
a corollary of Green's thm., but I am not sure.

Integrate
f(x,y) = xy[itex]^{2}[/itex]

along the edges of the unit square.

Along the edges (0,0) to (1,0) and (0,0) to (0,1) the integral is zero.
Along the edge (1,0) to (1,1) the integral is 1/3.
From (0,1) to (1,1) the integral is 1.

Did you mean the integral of df?

You're right, I think I do not have the conditions right. I was thinking of a def. of

homology of SCCurves, as defined in Rotman's Homological Algebra book

( I don't have the book with me at the moment; not in my school's library):

We are working in a subset S of R^2 , and f is defined there ; I am

not sure if f is assumed (complex) analytic,but then two simple-closed curves C,C' in S are homologous

if (Def.) Int_C f= Int_C' f , so that Int_(C-C') f = Int_0 f , so I cannot remember

the actual conditions on f. But basically the result is that the integral of f is constant

in homology.

Still, any chance you have a ref. for Int dz ?

Last edited:
Bacle said:
You're right, I think I do not have the conditions right. I was thinking of a def. of

homology of SCCurves, as defined in Rotman's Homological Algebra book

( I don't have the book with me at the moment; not in my school's library):

We are working in a subset S of R^2 , and f is defined there ; I am

not sure if f is assumed (complex) analytic,but then two simple-closed curves C,C' in S are homologous

if (Def.) Int_C f= Int_C' f , so that Int_(C-C') f = Int_0 f , so I cannot remember

the actual conditions on f. But basically the result is that the integral of f is constant

in homology.

Still, any chance you have a ref. for Int dz ?

The theorem is if a 1-form is closed then its integral on homotopic curves will be the same. If f is holomorphic in the domain then the 1 form fdz is closed. This follows from the Cauchy-Riemann equations. (For complex 1-forms closed means that the real and imaginary parts are both closed.)

The general theorem is Stokes theorem in the plane which classically I think is Green's theorem.

Related to Homology and Integration; Req. for Proof.

1. What is homology?

Homology refers to the similarity or correspondence between different structures or traits in different organisms. These similarities are evidence of a shared evolutionary history and can be used to infer relationships between species.

2. How is homology different from analogy?

Homology is based on shared ancestry, while analogy is based on convergent evolution. This means that homologous structures are similar due to a common ancestor, while analogous structures are similar due to similar selective pressures.

3. What is meant by integration in the context of evolutionary biology?

Integration refers to the process of incorporating new traits or features into an existing organism. This can occur through genetic mutation, gene transfer, or other mechanisms.

4. What is required for proof of homology and integration?

In order to prove homology and integration, scientists use a combination of anatomical, genetic, and fossil evidence. They also consider the principles of common descent and parsimony, which suggest that the simplest explanation is often the most likely.

5. How does the concept of homology and integration contribute to our understanding of evolution?

Homology and integration provide evidence for the theory of evolution by showing the relationships between different organisms and how they have changed over time. By studying these concepts, scientists can better understand the mechanisms of evolution and how species have diversified and adapted over millions of years.