Understanding Homomorphisms and the Identity Element in Group Theory

• Thread starter Juanriq
  • Start date
In summary, we are considering a mapping \phi \colon (\mathbb{Z} , + ) \to (\mathbb{Z}, *) where \phi (a) = a+2, and we need to define * such that \phi is a homomorphism. The identity element for (\mathbb{Z}, *) is 1, and we can define z*z'=z+z'-2. We then need to check that * defines a group structure on Z and that \phi is indeed a homomorphism.
Juanriq

Homework Statement

Consider the mapping [itex] \phi \colon (\mathbb{Z} , + ) \to (\mathbb{Z}, *) [/itex] such that [itex] \phi (a) = a+2[/itex]. Define * such that [itex] \phi [/itex] is a homomorphism. For [itex] (\mathbb{Z}, *) [/itex], define the identity element.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, first I thought I was oversimplifying this problem. I know that since we have a homomorphism, the identity of [itex] (\mathbb{Z} , \plus ) [/itex] will map to the identity element of our image. The identity of [itex] (\mathbb{Z} , \plus ) [/itex] will be 0, so [itex] \phi (0) = 1 = e^{\prime} [/itex]. But that seemed too easy.

So my question, do I have to break out properties of the homomorphism, namely that [itex] \phi (a+ b) = \phi (a) * \phi (b) = (a+2) * (b+2) [/itex] somehow.

I appreciate any help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
So for z,z', we need to know what z*z' is. Let's presume first that [tex]\phi[/tex] is indeed an homomorphism.

We know that [tex] z=\phi(z-2) [/tex] and [tex] z^\prime=\phi(z^\prime-2) [/tex]. Since [tex]\phi[/tex] is a homomorphism:

[tex] z*z^\prime= \phi(z-2)*\phi(z^\prime-2)=\phi(z+z^\prime-4)=z+z^\prime-2 [/tex]

So it is natural to define z*z'=z+z'-2. So now you just need to check that * indeed defines a group structure on Z and that [tex]\phi[/tex] indeed defines a homomorphism...

What is a homomorphism?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure and operations of a group or algebraic system. It maps elements from one set to another in a way that maintains the relationships between the elements.

What is the difference between a homomorphism and an isomorphism?

A homomorphism preserves the structure and operations of a group or algebraic system, while an isomorphism not only preserves structure and operations, but also maintains the one-to-one correspondence between elements in the two sets.

How is a homomorphism represented?

A homomorphism is typically represented as a function, with the input set as the domain and the output set as the codomain. It can also be represented as a diagram, showing the relationships between the elements in the two sets.

What is the importance of homomorphisms in mathematics?

Homomorphisms are important in mathematics because they allow us to study the structure and properties of one set by examining its relationship to another set. They also help us to understand and classify different mathematical structures.

What are some common examples of homomorphisms?

Some common examples of homomorphisms include addition and multiplication of integers, vector addition and scalar multiplication, and composition of functions. In abstract algebra, group homomorphisms and ring homomorphisms are also frequently studied.