1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hooke's law - Natural Extension of Spring

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    Can I find out the natural extension of a spring if I am only given the mass of a block that can be put on it and the value of the spring constant? I have found x ( from the formula F = -kx ) when the block is on it but I now need to find the extension of the spring with no mass on the end. It is probably really simple but I am just a little stuck! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2014 #2
    With no mass attached, what is F? Plug that value in and solve for x. Or am I missing something?

4. Apr 18, 2014 #3
    well I thought with no mass the force is zero but then is the k equal to x? See, i was getting a big answer then for x and it didnt seem like the right answer. I am definitely missing something very obvious here

5. Apr 18, 2014 #4
    How heavy is the spring itself? Is the spring vertical or horizontal?

6. Apr 18, 2014 #5
    The spring is vertical and the question does not give the mass of the spring.

7. Apr 18, 2014 #6
    No, k is not equal to x in that case. Recall your algebra, you have to do the same thing to both sides to isolate the variable you want. Solve for x by doing the same thing to both sides then plug in 0 for mass/force (you can plug in the zero first, but its usually easier to solve first then plug in).

8. Apr 18, 2014 #7
    Ok great, thanks a mill :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook