Proving the Motion of Point P: Vertical or Elliptical?

Then, use the equations of motion to analyze the forces acting on P. From there, you can determine if there is any vertical motion at P, and if so, whether it is due to elliptical motion or some other force. In summary, the problem involves determining if there is any vertical motion at point P, and if so, the cause of that motion. This can be done by conducting a free body diagram and using equations of motion to analyze the forces acting on P.
nohkie
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56184&d=1362060936

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56185&d=1362060998

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56186&d=1362061038
Any help of how to prove this problem would be appreciated, I am just not understanding the question and can't see whether or not there is vertical motion on point p or if the motion because elliptical? If anyone could prove this would be greatly appreciated. (I don't know how basic this is to people, I'm only in my high school and my teacher didn't get a chance to explain anything about it. It's driving me crazy.)

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start by doing the FBD for P.

1. What is horizontal circular motion?

Horizontal circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path parallel to the ground or a horizontal plane. This means that the object maintains a constant distance from the center of the circle while also moving at a constant speed.

2. What causes horizontal circular motion?

The main force that causes horizontal circular motion is centripetal force, which acts towards the center of the circle and keeps the object moving in a curved path. This force can be provided by tension, gravity, or any other force that acts towards the center of the circle.

3. How is horizontal circular motion different from vertical circular motion?

The main difference between horizontal and vertical circular motion is the direction in which the object is moving. In horizontal circular motion, the object moves parallel to the ground, while in vertical circular motion, the object moves perpendicular to the ground. Additionally, the forces acting on the object may also differ, with gravity being the main force in vertical circular motion.

4. What is the role of velocity in horizontal circular motion?

Velocity plays an important role in horizontal circular motion as it determines the speed and direction in which the object is moving. In order for an object to maintain a circular path, its velocity must always be tangent to the circle at any point. This means that the velocity is always changing, even if the speed remains constant.

5. How is horizontal circular motion related to centripetal acceleration?

Horizontal circular motion and centripetal acceleration are closely related as centripetal acceleration is the change in velocity that occurs when an object moves in a circular path. In horizontal circular motion, the acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle, which is necessary to keep the object moving in a curved path.