Horse and Cart Question: Understanding the Impact of Ground Forces

• Thread starter kasheee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart
In summary, at the point you are referring to, if we only consider the horse as a system, then as long as there is a resultant force on the horse, the horse and cart system will automatically accelerate.
kasheee
Summary:: Horse and Cart question. Help gratefully appreciated.

Referring to the power point screen twelve minutes in for the video link below, I think it is not the internal force of the cart exerting on the horse when pulling it back that is of relevance, but instead it is the relative size of the external force of the ground on the cart compared to the size of the ground force exerted on the horse is what needs to be considered to see if we have a net resultant force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. I have moved your thread to the Schoolwork forums for you.

Can you show us your FBDs for the horse and for the cart? I don't really want to watch the presentation if we can answer your question by looking at your FBDs. Thank you.

kasheee said:
Summary:: Horse and Cart question. Help gratefully appreciated.

Referring to the power point screen twelve minutes in for the video link below, I think it is not the internal force of the cart exerting on the horse when pulling it back that is of relevance, but instead it is the relative size of the external force of the ground on the cart compared to the size of the ground force exerted on the horse is what needs to be considered to see if we have a net resultant force.

At the point you are referring to, we are considering just the horse as the system. We must only consider forces acting directly on it.
The horizontal forces applied to the horse are the forward friction from the ground and the tension in the link connecting it to the cart.

I see. So if I understand you correctly, as long as there is a resultant force on the horse as a system, and therefore ,as the cart is connected indirectly to the horse, the horse and cart system will automatically accelerate.

kasheee said:
I see. So if I understand you correctly, as long as there is a resultant force on the horse as a system, and therefore ,as the cart is connected indirectly to the horse, the horse and cart system will automatically accelerate.
As long as there is a net force on the horse the horse will accelerate. But we do not at first know if that is the case. If the cart had a brake applied the tension in the link would have been greater, maybe balancing the force on the horse.

Since the tension is initially unknown, it is more convenient to consider the horse and cart as one system. If we wish to find the tension, we must also consider them as separate systems.

1. What is a horse and cart?

A horse and cart is a traditional form of transportation that involves a horse pulling a cart or carriage. It was commonly used before the invention of automobiles.

2. How does a horse and cart impact the ground?

A horse and cart can impact the ground in several ways. The weight of the cart and horse can cause compaction and erosion of the soil. The hooves of the horse can also create ruts and disrupt the natural vegetation on the ground.

3. What are the environmental implications of using a horse and cart?

The use of a horse and cart can have both positive and negative environmental implications. On one hand, it is a sustainable and eco-friendly form of transportation. However, it can also contribute to soil erosion and air pollution from horse manure.

4. How does the use of a horse and cart compare to other forms of transportation?

In terms of environmental impact, the use of a horse and cart is generally considered more sustainable than other forms of transportation such as cars or trains. However, it is also slower and less efficient, making it less practical for long distances or in urban areas.

5. What are some potential solutions to mitigate the impact of horse and cart on the ground?

Some potential solutions to mitigate the impact of horse and cart on the ground include using alternative forms of transportation, implementing proper waste management for horse manure, and using sustainable practices such as rotating grazing areas to prevent soil erosion.