1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot Air Baloon

1. Feb 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Kindly see the attachment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

As with all such questions, its in setting everything up that I'm having some trouble.

I know that F = mdv/dt + vdm/dt. And also that F = R - m(t)g, but R = M0g. From here though I don't know how to proceed to obtain the differential equation to solve for v. Any hints?

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Careful there. Is the m in the first equation the same as the m in the second equation?

Also, you have been given m(t), right?

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

How sure are you that F = m dv/dt + v dm/dt? Using principles of conservation of momentum in systems that are explicitly not closed is a tricky thing to get right.

In the frame of reference in which the balloon is momentarily at rest, v = 0 and the v dm/dt term goes away. Acceleration does not change depending on the choice of reference frame. It follows that F = m dv/dt or, more familiarly, F = ma.

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4
    Thanks for all the replies. I apologise for not getting back until now, my internet has been on the fritz. Ok, so I'm trying to be more careful with my m's. M is for the mass of the balloon, and m for the mass of the sand. So I have F = Mdv/dt = R - M(t)g, where R = M0g, and m(t) is the mass of the sand in the balloon. I calculated m(t) and got m(t) = m0(1 - t/T). Is that right so far? I'm just about to plug that into my force equation and I'll get back to you all on how that goes. Thanks

Update: Ok so in my force equation I have M(t)g, but I have only worked out m(t). Would it be valid to make the assumption that since the mass of the balloon << mass of sand, that their combined mass is approximately the mass of the sand. I.e. M ~ m?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  6. Feb 8, 2015 #5
    Anyone?

7. Feb 9, 2015 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Yes. This all looks correct.
    No. The stated problem is careful to distinguish between m and M. You must be equally careful.

8. Feb 12, 2015 #7
    Thanks for all the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted