1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Hot liquid mixed with a cold liquid

1. Mar 9, 2016 #1
    My textbook says - When a hot liquid is mixed with a cold liquid, the temperature of the mixture -
    "is undefined for some time and then becomes nearly constant".
    Shouldn't the temperature first decrease and then become constant ? Why does it say "undefined" ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The mixing process takes some time during which a temperature reading can give 'anything' between Thot and Tcold. So it's not completely undefined.

Your perspective is apparently from the hot liquid ? Because for the cold liquid the temperature increases and then becomes constant !

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3
    I haven't really come across this fact that the mixing process takes time. Will you please elaborate on this one?

5. Mar 9, 2016 #4

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If you have ever baked a cake, you will know that mixing is one of the steps. That step is not instantaneous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted