Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot topics in Biophysics

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm supposed to start my PhD in Biophysics. and I just need help and suggestions about what are the hot topics and issues in Biophysics.

I don't want to do something, and end up after 10 years alone in my desk and am the only one in the world doing it.

So, can anyone please suggest or tell me about what are the hot issues going on in the Biophysics field?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're supposed to start a PhD in Biophysics? If you want to pursue a PhD in a field you should at least know what is going on, I can't imagine you don't have an idea. Talk to some professors (best done while you're taking courses), browse the web for research groups in the field and look at what kind of research the relevant journals are currently publishing.
  4. Oct 14, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Biophysics is such a broad field that I could list tons of interesting questions that people are studying. Perhaps you can narrow your interests a bit. What made you choose to pursue a PhD in biophysics? What types of research would you like to do? In what stage of starting your PhD are you?
  5. Oct 15, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm agreeing with Monique and Ygggdrasil- it sounds like you are choosing a field of study because the name sounds cool, not because you have any real interest in the field.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?