Hour Change: More Amusing than Annoying

• Bug
  • Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
In summary, there was a minor timing issue with alerts on the Physics Forums website due to the clocks changing in the UK. The first post was dated October 30th, but the second post was dated October 30th as well, causing some confusion. The issue was seen as more amusing than annoying, and it was not considered a critical issue.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
More amusing than annoying, and definitely minor.

Tonight the clocks change, in the UK at least. I'm awake at 1.45am for some reason. According to my alerts, this post
https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5606899/
came in at 12.51am today. Some forty minutes later I have another alert for this post https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5606922/
which is dated Oct 30, 2016. Which is today, by any other name.

So at the top of my latest alert page it says Oct 30th, then there's a link to a post. Then it says Today, then there are links to half a dozen posts. Then it says Yesterday, then more links.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I would prefer daylight saving time the whole year. But I guess minor timing upsets for two hours per year are not the most critical issue.

Definitely minor - presumably most people will be asleep when it triggers anyway. I just found it an amusing bug. :wink:

What is hour change?

Hour change refers to the practice of setting clocks forward or back by one hour during daylight saving time or when transitioning between time zones.

Why do we have hour change?

Hour change was originally implemented as a way to save energy by taking advantage of natural daylight during the summer months. It is also used to align our clocks with the hours of daylight in different time zones.

Does hour change affect our health?

There is ongoing debate about the effects of hour change on our health. Some studies suggest that it can disrupt our sleep patterns and increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes. However, other studies have found no significant impact on health.

Do all countries practice hour change?

No, not all countries practice hour change. Currently, about 70 countries around the world use some form of hour change, while the remaining countries do not observe it.

Is hour change permanent?

No, hour change is not permanent. It typically occurs twice a year, with clocks being adjusted forward or back by one hour. However, there have been discussions and proposals to eliminate hour change altogether in some countries.