Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

"Houston, we've had a problem..."

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    You guys wanna hear something really cool? I suggest listening to this at night, alone, with the lights turned off and using headphones...The accident happens about 8 minutes in. You can actually hear the explosion as a long "crackling" sound. Pretty creepy..

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2
    Wow, thanks for the share. This is better than the movie.

This one's the audio from the ship, the "unpleasantness" occurs about 6 minutes in.

4. Jan 2, 2016 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

These guys! How can they be so calm?

5. Jan 2, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's their training.

6. Jan 2, 2016 #5

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because they want to live and they know damned well (and as SteamKing said have been trained to know) that panic in an emergency situation will likely get you killed and in any event is absolutely no help at all.

I heard an interesting anecdote once about fighter pilots vs regular people. There's a type of emergency in a jet where the pilot knows there's a pretty good chance he's going to die in 8 seconds. Now, a normal person will spend 8 seconds saying "OH S***" over and over. The fighter pilot will say. "Eight seconds? Hell, I can pull it out of this"

And by staying calm, he just might.

7. Jan 2, 2016 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had close calls and can understand this. But this isn't a close call IMO. I'd wouldn't be a good pilot/astronaut.

8. Jan 2, 2016 #7

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Most of us wouldn't, but they say training helps a lot.

9. Jan 4, 2016 #8
    You can hear a change in Gene Krantz's voice around 50 minutes after the accident when they're starting to figure out it's the cryo-tanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook