"Houston, we've had a problem...."

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
In summary: At this point, they know it's not a gas leak.In summary, the ship has an emergency and the people on it try to remain calm. The accident happens about 8 minutes in and you can hear the explosion.
DiracPool
You guys want to hear something really cool? I suggest listening to this at night, alone, with the lights turned off and using headphones...The accident happens about 8 minutes in. You can actually hear the explosion as a long "crackling" sound. Pretty creepy..

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, thanks for the share. This is better than the movie.

This one's the audio from the ship, the "unpleasantness" occurs about 6 minutes in.

Likes DiracPool and Silicon Waffle
These guys! How can they be so calm?

dlgoff said:
That's their training.

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
Because they want to live and they know damned well (and as SteamKing said have been trained to know) that panic in an emergency situation will likely get you killed and in any event is absolutely no help at all.

I heard an interesting anecdote once about fighter pilots vs regular people. There's a type of emergency in a jet where the pilot knows there's a pretty good chance he's going to die in 8 seconds. Now, a normal person will spend 8 seconds saying "OH S***" over and over. The fighter pilot will say. "Eight seconds? Hell, I can pull it out of this"

And by staying calm, he just might.

Likes dlgoff
phinds said:
I heard an interesting anecdote once about fighter pilots vs regular people. There's a type of emergency in a jet where the pilot knows there's a pretty good chance he's going to die in 8 seconds. Now, a normal person will spend 8 seconds saying "OH S***" over and over. The fighter pilot will say. "Eight seconds? Hell, I can pull it out of this"
I've had close calls and can understand this. But this isn't a close call IMO. I'd wouldn't be a good pilot/astronaut.

dlgoff said:
I've had close calls and can understand this. But this isn't a close call IMO. I'd wouldn't be a good pilot/astronaut.
Most of us wouldn't, but they say training helps a lot.

Likes dlgoff
You can hear a change in Gene Krantz's voice around 50 minutes after the accident when they're starting to figure out it's the cryo-tanks.

Related to "Houston, we've had a problem...."

1. What exactly happened during the "Houston, we've had a problem..." incident?

The incident, also known as the Apollo 13 mission, was a spaceflight launched in 1970 with the goal of landing on the moon. However, on the way to the moon, an oxygen tank exploded, causing damage to the spacecraft and putting the lives of the crew in danger.

2. How did NASA handle the situation after the explosion?

NASA worked tirelessly to come up with solutions to bring the crew back safely. They had to use the limited resources on board to improvise a makeshift air filtration system and conserve electricity and water. They also had to navigate the spacecraft back to Earth using the moon's gravity as a slingshot.

3. Did anyone get hurt during the Apollo 13 mission?

Thankfully, all three crew members, Jim Lovell, Jack Swigert, and Fred Haise, made it back to Earth safely. However, they did experience some health issues due to the lack of oxygen and extreme temperatures in the spacecraft.

4. What was the cause of the oxygen tank explosion?

The exact cause of the explosion is still debated, but it is believed that a spark from a wire ignited the oxygen tank, causing it to overheat and explode. This was a result of a faulty design and inadequate testing of the tank.

5. What were the long-term effects of the Apollo 13 mission on NASA?

The incident highlighted the risks and challenges of space exploration and prompted NASA to make significant changes to their safety protocols and spacecraft design. It also brought about a renewed focus on teamwork and problem-solving within the organization.