"Houston, we've had a problem..."

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
You guys wanna hear something really cool? I suggest listening to this at night, alone, with the lights turned off and using headphones...The accident happens about 8 minutes in. You can actually hear the explosion as a long "crackling" sound. Pretty creepy..

Likes Silicon Waffle

Answers and Replies

Wow, thanks for the share. This is better than the movie.

This one's the audio from the ship, the "unpleasantness" occurs about 6 minutes in.

Likes DiracPool and Silicon Waffle
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
These guys! How can they be so calm?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's their training.

Likes dlgoff
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Because they want to live and they know damned well (and as SteamKing said have been trained to know) that panic in an emergency situation will likely get you killed and in any event is absolutely no help at all.

I heard an interesting anecdote once about fighter pilots vs regular people. There's a type of emergency in a jet where the pilot knows there's a pretty good chance he's going to die in 8 seconds. Now, a normal person will spend 8 seconds saying "OH S***" over and over. The fighter pilot will say. "Eight seconds? Hell, I can pull it out of this"

And by staying calm, he just might.

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I heard an interesting anecdote once about fighter pilots vs regular people. There's a type of emergency in a jet where the pilot knows there's a pretty good chance he's going to die in 8 seconds. Now, a normal person will spend 8 seconds saying "OH S***" over and over. The fighter pilot will say. "Eight seconds? Hell, I can pull it out of this"
I've had close calls and can understand this. But this isn't a close call IMO. I'd wouldn't be a good pilot/astronaut.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I've had close calls and can understand this. But this isn't a close call IMO. I'd wouldn't be a good pilot/astronaut.
Most of us wouldn't, but they say training helps a lot.

Likes dlgoff
You can hear a change in Gene Krantz's voice around 50 minutes after the accident when they're starting to figure out it's the cryo-tanks.