How are fiber bundles and associated vector bundles used in physics?

• Thread starter sly7151
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, Chris has read Frankel's book on the geometry of physics and is not sure if it is too technical for what he is looking for. He also asks if anybody has looked at vector bundles whose structure group is nilpotent and if so, what book they would recommend.
sly7151
Hi folks. I am a mathematician and my research
is on the curvature equation

D(\gamma) = F

where \gamma is a Lie-algebra valued one-form and F is a Lie-algebra-valued 2-form.

I want a very
rough idea how fiber bundles and associated vector
bundles are used in physics. I've tried to read up on it, but most
of the stuff is too technical and I
just want sort of a bird's eye view of how they are used.

More specifically, I'd like to know if you guys ever look at vector bundles whose structure group is Nilpotent. The problem I am working on is when the base manifold is dimension 3 and the structure group is nilpotent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chris Hillman said:
Did you try Nakayama, Geometry, Topology, and Physics or Frankel, Geometry of Physics?
Do you mean 'Nakahara : Geometry, Topology, and Physics' instead? I'm guessing the likelyhood of two such similarly named authors and books is unlikely ;) Excellent recommendation though. I'm trying to work through the bundle chapters at the moment :cry:

Hi Chris.

I have read Frankel's book (or rather, parts of it). It's not too technical, but it is confusing and still doesn't really answer my question about how nilpotent structure groups are used.

I got your email that you replied to this posting, but I could not read most of it - there was just a lot of junk with html code in it. Could you reply in the forum here or email me directly?

Thanks a lot for replying - nobody else has :cry:

sly7151 said:
Hi Chris.

I have read Frankel's book (or rather, parts of it). It's not too technical, but it is confusing and still doesn't really answer my question about how nilpotent structure groups are used.

I got your email that you replied to this posting, but I could not read most of it - there was just a lot of junk with html code in it. Could you reply in the forum here or email me directly?

Thanks a lot for replying - nobody else has :cry:

Not sure if this is of any help, but this is a brief summary of my understanding of how things work in one application of fibre bundles:

Physics makes extensive use of a type of model called a gauge theory. Such a theory is "invariant" (i.e. the field equations retain their form) under "gauge transformations". A simple example is a system consisting of charged scalar fields, and electromagnetic interactions. The charged scalar fields (think of wave functions in quantum mechanics) are modeled as sections of a (complex) line bundle. We want the theory to be invariant under phase transformations (wave functions are only significant up to a phase factor). It would be nice if the theory was also invariant up to a phase factor which could be defined independently at each point. In order to do this, we need to take our field equations for our complex field and replace any derivatives in them by covariant derivatives, i.e. we introduce a connection on our bundle. This connection corresponds to the electromagnetic potential and its curvature to the electromagnetic field. The structure group of the principal bundle to which our complex line bundle is associated is U(1), which is abelian, and therefore nilpotent and so may be of some interest in your case?

Related to How are fiber bundles and associated vector bundles used in physics?

1. What is the difference between connections and curvature?

Connections and curvature are two important concepts in differential geometry. Connections refer to the rules or equations that describe how tangent vectors change as they move along a curved surface. Curvature, on the other hand, measures how much a surface deviates from being flat. In other words, connections describe the local behavior of a surface, while curvature describes the global behavior.

2. How do connections and curvature relate to each other?

Connections and curvature are closely related, as they both describe the geometry of a curved surface. Connections are used to calculate curvature, and curvature can also be used to calculate connections. In general, connections provide the framework for understanding the geometry of a surface, while curvature provides specific measurements and properties.

3. What is the difference between intrinsic and extrinsic curvature?

Intrinsic curvature refers to the curvature of a surface as it exists within its own space, without any external influences. It is a property of the surface itself and is not affected by how the surface is embedded in a higher-dimensional space. Extrinsic curvature, on the other hand, refers to the curvature of a surface as it is embedded in a higher-dimensional space. This curvature is influenced by the surrounding space and can vary depending on how the surface is positioned within it.

4. How do connections and curvature apply to general relativity?

In general relativity, connections and curvature play a crucial role in describing the geometry of spacetime. The laws of gravity are formulated in terms of curvature, which is related to the distribution of matter and energy in the universe. Connections are used to calculate the curvature of spacetime and are essential for understanding how objects move and interact in the presence of gravity.

5. Can connections and curvature be visualized?

While connections and curvature are abstract mathematical concepts, they can be visualized in certain cases. Curvature, for example, can be visualized through the use of curvature maps or by plotting the surface in a higher-dimensional space. Connections can also be visualized through the use of vector fields that show how tangent vectors change as they move along a surface. However, in higher dimensions or more complex surfaces, it can be difficult to visualize these concepts directly, and mathematical techniques are often used instead.