Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can a conductive surface be held at a desired potential?

1. Aug 7, 2013 #1
    I was reviewing some things relating to electric fields around conducting surfaces, and the book I was using (Purcell) mentioned that a conducting surface can be held at any arbitrary electric potential (within reason). My question is, how would this actually be done in practice? Purcell mentioned something about using a battery, but my circuitry intuition is weak, so I don't see how this can establish a desired potential starting from a neutral surface.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2
    For example, attach the positive end of an 8 V battery to the metallic surface, and earth the negative end. Now all parts of your surface are "floating" at a potential of +8 V relative to earth.

Batteries in series are good to use for this purpose because they provide a stable ripple-free potential. For high voltages you'd have to use a power supply similarly connected to the surface and to earth.

Edit: A variable resistor can be used to generate a particular potential.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm not sure how a battery works. If each end is connected to a conductive surface (without completing the circuit), will electrons flow through the battery until the two surfaces reach the correct potential difference? Also, what is driving the electrons? I realize it's some kind of chemical reaction in the battery, but doesn't the circuit need to be complete for the battery to provide work?

5. Aug 8, 2013 #4
    There will be a momentary flow of electrons (too rapid and too small to detect using conventional means), but this will stop once the potential has been established. The set-up described is not a circuit and can't be analysed using conventional electronics ideas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook