How Can Boolean Polynomials Determine Consistency in Propositional Formulas?

In summary, the conversation is about converting propositional statements into Boolean polynomials for the purpose of determining consistency or inconsistency in a set of propositional formulas. The individual is having difficulty finding resources on this subject and is looking for links to texts or videos that cover this topic. They also mention trouble converting a specific statement into a Boolean polynomial and are seeking material on this scenario as well. The suggestion to look up "Disjunctive normal form" is also mentioned.
zzmanzz
My professor wants to convert propositional statements such as X ^ Y into polynomeals such as

P[(X^Y)] = xy

Now, we may have multiple propositional formulas and wish to determine if they are consistent or inconsistent using Boolean polynomials.

I'm having a tough time finding material on this subject online or on you tube. Could someone please give me links to texts or videos where logical propositions are converted to Boolean polynomials and how they are used in proving consistency and inconsistency in a set of propositional formulas.

Also, I have some trouble converting statements such as

[ (p->q) -> (q->r) ] -> (p->r)

into Boolean polynomials.

Again, I'm looking for material covering the above scenarios. It would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to How Can Boolean Polynomials Determine Consistency in Propositional Formulas?

1. What is a Boolean polynomial?

A Boolean polynomial is a mathematical expression made up of Boolean variables and logical operators such as AND, OR, and NOT. It represents a logical statement that can be either true or false.

2. How are Boolean polynomials used in logic?

Boolean polynomials are used to represent and analyze logical statements and their truth values. They are an important tool in boolean algebra, which is used in fields such as computer science, engineering, and mathematics.

3. What is the degree of a Boolean polynomial?

The degree of a Boolean polynomial is the highest number of variables in a single term of the polynomial. For example, the polynomial A AND B has a degree of 1, while the polynomial A OR B AND C has a degree of 2.

4. How are Boolean polynomials simplified?

Boolean polynomials can be simplified using algebraic laws and rules, such as the distributive law and De Morgan's laws. This allows for easier analysis and manipulation of logical statements.

5. Are there any practical applications of Boolean polynomials?

Yes, Boolean polynomials have many practical applications in fields such as digital electronics, computer programming, and circuit design. They are also used in problem-solving and decision-making processes, such as in artificial intelligence and decision analysis.