How can concentration be calculated in a chemical experiment?

In summary, the conversation is about how to measure concentration in an experiment involving calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid. The participants discuss the relationship between concentration and rate of reaction, and suggest varying the concentration of one reactant while keeping the other constant. They also provide links and formulas for calculating concentration, and offer assistance for anyone who needs clarification on the concept.
lil_agelu4life
I was wondering if anyone knows how to measure concentration.
I'm going to have a lab prac. where we design an experiment to investigate the effect of concentration in the rate of reaction of calcium carbonate and hydrochloric acid.
I already know that increasing the concentration will increase the rate of reaction but I have no idea how to design a fair test to prove that hypothesis!
Help me out if you can please...

Thanx 2 any who rply...
<<o:) De LiL AgeLu o:) >>

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you are only required to investigate the effect of concentration of rate, it is not nesscary to calculate the concentration of either reactants. It is usually enough simply to determine the relationship between the two. Here, you should vary the concentration of one of the reacants, while keeping the other one constant (I would recommend varying the HCl conc and keeping the calcium carbonate chips of roughly equal surface area).

~H

Even if you do not calculate the concentration in this experiement it could be interesting for you to find out. Here are some good links for the concept of concentation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration
http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa081003a.htm
http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=define:concentration&btnG=Google-sökning&meta=

Concentration can be calculated via two forumlae, depending on if you are diluting a substance or if you want to find the concentration of eg. a certain amount (in mole) of a substance dissolved in a certain amount of solvent.

Don't hesitate to ask if there is something you do not understand completely :smile:

A basic knowledge of the concept of mole is good to have if one is dealing with concentration.

[tex]n[/tex] = [tex]m/M[/tex]

[tex]n[/tex] = number of mol
[tex]m[/tex] = Amount of mass (in grams)
[tex]M[/tex] = Relative molar mass / Relative Atomic mass (look at the O for Oxygen in a periodic table and you will see "16" (or "15.9994" depending on the accuracy of it).

[tex]n[/tex] = [tex]V * C[/tex]
[tex]V_1 * C_1[/tex] = [tex]V_2 * C_2[/tex]

[tex]n[/tex] = number of mol
[tex]V[/tex] = Volume in [tex]dm^3[/tex] ([tex]V_1[/tex] = Volume before, [tex]V_2[/tex] = Volume after)
[tex]C[/tex] = Concentration in [tex]mol/dm^3[/tex] ([tex]C_1[/tex] = Concentration before, [tex]C_2[/tex] = Concentration after)

Here are two examples of the usage of these formulae:

I have 10 grams of table salt in 1 [tex]dm^3[/tex] water. If I increase the volume to 2 [tex]dm^3[/tex] what concentration will the final mixture have?

[tex]m_(NaCl)[/tex] = 10 g
[tex]V_1[/tex] = 1 [tex]dm^3[/tex]
[tex]V_2[/tex] = 2 [tex]dm^3[/tex]

[tex]M_(NaCl)[/tex] = 11 + 17 = 28 g/mol
[tex]n_(NaCl)[/tex] = 10/28 mol
[tex]C_(NaCl)[/tex] = (10/28)/1 = 10/28

[tex]V_1 * C_1[/tex] = [tex]V_2 * C_2[/tex] =>

[tex]C_2[/tex] = [tex]V_1 * C_1/V_2[/tex] = [tex]1 * (10/28) / 2[/tex] = 0.17...[tex]mol/dm^3[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to How can concentration be calculated in a chemical experiment?

1. What is concentration and why is it important to measure?

Concentration refers to the amount of a substance present in a given volume or space. It is important to measure because it helps us understand the amount of a particular substance that is present in a sample, which can be useful in various scientific experiments and applications.

2. How is concentration measured?

Concentration can be measured in a variety of ways, depending on the substance being measured. Some common methods include spectrophotometry, titration, and gravimetric analysis. These methods involve using instruments and techniques to accurately determine the amount of a substance present in a sample.

3. What units are used to express concentration?

The units used to express concentration can vary depending on the substance being measured and the method used for measurement. Some common units include parts per million (ppm), molarity (M), and percentage (%). It is important to make sure the units are consistent when comparing concentrations.

4. Can concentration be measured in both solid and liquid substances?

Yes, concentration can be measured in both solid and liquid substances. However, the methods used for measuring concentration may differ. For example, solid substances may require techniques such as gravimetric analysis, while liquid substances may be measured using techniques such as titration.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of concentration measurements?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of concentration measurements. These include human error, instrument calibration, sample contamination, and sample preparation techniques. It is important to carefully control and consider these factors when measuring concentration to ensure accurate results.