How can I accurately determine the stiffness of a joint using polynomial curves?

In summary, Dr. Courtney was trying to figure out how to average the results of polynomial fits to find the stiffness of a joint in rotation, but was having trouble understanding the theory. He attempted to do this by plotting the results of each equation and averaging them, but this did not work because stiffness is non-linear. He instead suggested tabulating the results of each equation and averaging them, plotting the average, and fitting a polynomial to the average. If this is correct, then this method should work to find the stiffness of a joint in rotation.
RobHH
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this problem. I am following an example of a previous report to analyse some test results, but am having trouble with this step. The tests plot moment-rotation curves of a horizontal member fixed into a vertical member. You run 5 tests, and for each test, fit a polynomial curve to the results. Then, it seems, you produce a single 'mean' curve and use this to derive the stiffness of the joint in rotation.

The problem i have is that using the results in the previous report, I cannot get an 'average' which matches that listed in the report. On the attached excel I have listed out the co-efficients for 2 lots of 5 tests, and showed the co-effecients which are listed in the report as the average. You'll see that I can't get them to match! I've tried mean, absolute and reciprocal averages all to no luck. The fact that a constant (x0) appears in the 'average' equation makes me thing I'm misunderstanding something. Also on the excel is a plot from one test which might help to illustrate.

Sorry if I've waffled, I just want to make sure I've explained properly! Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• polynomials.xlsx
    220.3 KB · Views: 252
Physics news on Phys.org
RobHH said:
The tests plot moment-rotation curves of a horizontal member fixed into a vertical member. You run 5 tests, and for each test, fit a polynomial curve to the results.

Is there a theoretical prediction for the curve if stiffness is known? For example, if stiffness is a constant ##k## then should the curve theoretically be ## k = \frac{M}{\theta}## ?

Averaging polynomial fits is only meaningful if the range of input values is the same. This is because polynomial fits work well within the input range of the data, but quickly diverge outside the range of the data.

When we've done this in the past, we simply make a table of values on a small step size over the range of all the polynomials. The table for each best-fit polynomial might be a row in a spreadsheet. The average of all the polynomials (rows) can then be computed in an additional row. Finally, a polynomial fit can be done on the row that is the average, creating a best fit polynomial for the average.

Stiffness is non-linear, so there is no formula I can use..

Dr Courtney, I think I see what you are saying... Tabulate the results of each equation (ie for rotation, M=) then average the actual results, plot this average and fit a polynomial to this? If I'm reading you right, I think that could work!

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to How can I accurately determine the stiffness of a joint using polynomial curves?

What is the definition of "averaging polynomial curves"?

Averaging polynomial curves refers to the process of finding a single curve that represents the general trend of a set of polynomial curves. This is typically done by taking the average of the coefficients of the polynomials.

How is "averaging polynomial curves" used in scientific research?

Averaging polynomial curves is often used in scientific research to analyze and summarize data that follows a polynomial trend. This can be especially useful in fields such as economics, biology, and physics.

What are the benefits of "averaging polynomial curves"?

One of the main benefits of averaging polynomial curves is that it can help to simplify complex data and make it easier to interpret. It can also help to identify the overall trend and patterns in the data.

Are there any limitations to "averaging polynomial curves"?

Yes, there are some limitations to averaging polynomial curves. It may not accurately represent the behavior of the individual curves in the set, and it may not be applicable to all types of data. Additionally, the method of averaging used can affect the outcome and interpretation of the results.

How can I perform "averaging polynomial curves" analysis on my own data?

There are various statistical software and programming languages that can be used to perform averaging polynomial curves analysis, such as R, Python, and Excel. It is important to choose the appropriate method and carefully interpret the results for accurate analysis.