How can i calculate the brightness of moon's light at night on the earth?

• Thread starter rony01
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

hello Forum

i am a novice physics learner. actually i want to calculate or construct an equation through which i can measure the maximum brightness of moon's light on our planet.

can anyone give me any idea from where to start?

Answers and Replies

well there is an experiment to measure the energy output of the sun , And this might work on a full moon . Set out a glass of water and see if the light from the moon heats up the glass of water , and measure the temperature increase , and measure the time it took and then you can get the energy per second it was putting out over that cross-sectional area . Now i feel stupid for writing this because i don't know if it will work, I don't know if there is enough light coming off the sun . Maybe you could do something with a solar cell.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf!

hello rony01! welcome to pf! :smile:

for an equation, you can assume that the full moon is a light bulb which radiates a certain percentage (the "albedo" of Moon-rock) of the light from the sun falling on it …

and assume it radiates equally over a 2π solid angle (ie only on one side!) …

then use the angular diameter of the Moon as seen from the Earth :wink:

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Just to be clear, you are asking about the *brightness*, as opposed to the irradiance?

First you need a photo receptor. For dim sources i suggest a photo resistor from a night light removed and connected to a resistance meter. The resistance will be a function of the light on it. If you are able to get measurable changes by directing the photo resistor on the moon then you need to calibrate it. I suggest a candle placed 1 foot from the photo resistor. ( one candle power ) in a dark room. Add more candles to get a curve. This is all a little sloppy but it should work and get you started. If you are in a city it may be hard to find moonlight without other light sources interfering.

i think it would be easier to calculate in that to measure the unit LUMEN in which i must require the periphery and the radiation angle. for the radiation angle it will be easily calculated with stick perpendicular to earth and then using F = Iv × 2π × (1 - cos(A/2)), this law might be easier.

but thanx for the comments!

Great. What did you get?