How can I calculate the voltage output of a wind turbine?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
sooty1892
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi
I wasn't sure whether this is technically homework or not but anyway.

I am building a miniature wind turbine for a basic project just for myself.
I was wondering if there was anyway for working out the voltage gained from the generator. I know this could be gained from using P = IV but I'm not sure if the current changes depending on the rpm of the generator.
Is there a general formula or way for working out the voltage? Obviously there are a number or variables such as the wind speed (linked in with the rpm) and whether the current alters (which I am not sure about).
Also the generator I am using is a 12V generator.
Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sooty1892 said:
Hi
I wasn't sure whether this is technically homework or not but anyway.

I am building a miniature wind turbine for a basic project just for myself.
I was wondering if there was anyway for working out the voltage gained from the generator. I know this could be gained from using P = IV but I'm not sure if the current changes depending on the rpm of the generator.
Is there a general formula or way for working out the voltage? Obviously there are a number or variables such as the wind speed (linked in with the rpm) and whether the current alters (which I am not sure about).
Also the generator I am using is a 12V generator.
Thanks

MarkP: You'll need a dynamometer to measure the varying current and voltage caused by wind speed variations. Semiconductor manufacturers are now making a chip that will generate a constant voltage from a source that has varying voltage and current capacity. According to a friend, some even match their input impedance to maximize total power, rather than just current.
I'm sure some current professional wind turbines have gears designed to shift to keep current output of the electric generator more stable, depending on the wind turbine speed at the moment. Of course some form of electrical network, including transformers, voltage regulators, and some form of feedback circuit designed to tell the system when minimum, and maximum voltages have been reached, and then the circuits designed to deal with each scenario would be needed, I suppose.

I'm not sure I've answered your question in a way that can help you, but I'm just an electronic hobbyist, not a professional electrical engineer. However, if I were you, I would check into the new semiconductors designed specifically to maximize total power from a source of varying current and voltage. The other alternative is much more complicated, and requires a good deal of technical know-how to design and build.