How can i check if this sum is converges?

• MHB
  • Thread starter DrMath1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the conversation discusses checking the convergence of a series represented by a summation sign with a variable under it. The series is determined to converge by comparison with a known convergent series, and can also be written as a telescoping sum with a sum of 5. However, there is uncertainty about the variable used in the summation, which could lead to the series diverging.
DrMath1
Hello everybody,
How can i check if this sum is converges?
View attachment 6649

Attachments

• ques.png
    ques.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 48
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dr Math, and welcome to MHB!

I assume that the symbol under the summation sign should be $t$ rather than $w$? If so, then the series converges, by comparison with the known convergent series \(\displaystyle \sum \frac1{t^2}\) (using the limit comparison test).

If you want, you can use partial fractions to write the series as \(\displaystyle \sum_{t=1}^\infty \left(\frac{-3/2}{t+3} + \frac4{t+4} + \frac{-5/2}{t+5}\right).\) This is a telescoping sum, with sum $5$.

Edit. On second thoughts, I'm not so sure about the $t$ and $w$. There is a $t$ on the left side of the equation, which goes against the assumption that $t$ is the summation index. If the summation is really over another variable $w$, then each term in the sum is the same (because there are no $w$s in it). That means that the series will diverge.

Related to How can i check if this sum is converges?

What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The definition of convergence for a series is when the sum of all the terms in the series approaches a finite number as the number of terms in the series increases.

What is the formula for determining if a series is convergent?

The formula for determining if a series is convergent is the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the difference between the nth term and the (n+1)th term. If this limit is equal to 0, then the series is convergent.

How can I check if a series is convergent using the ratio test?

To check convergence using the ratio test, you must take the limit as n approaches infinity of the absolute value of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term. If this limit is less than 1, then the series is convergent. If it is greater than 1, the series is divergent. If it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive and another method must be used.

What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence is when a series converges regardless of the order in which the terms are added. Conditional convergence is when a series only converges when the terms are added in a specific order. For example, the alternating harmonic series is conditionally convergent, while the regular harmonic series is absolutely convergent.

What are some common tests for convergence of series?

Some common tests for convergence of series include the comparison test, the integral test, the alternating series test, and the root and ratio tests. Each of these tests has a specific set of conditions that must be met in order to determine convergence.