How can I create a model roller coaster without using additional energy?

In summary, the student is looking for advice on how to create a model roller coaster that does not use additional energy (electricity, or touching the model in progress) and can re-run the entire model twice. Some of the student's ideas include using a precompressed spring, creating a ferris wheel like component, and placing steel wire along the track. If the student can get an A+ on this project, they will be able to go to AP Biology next year.
DefyGravity
I need some suggestions for how to create a model roller coaster that does not use additional energy (electricity, or touching the model in progress ) and can re-run the entire model twice.

Since creating a perpetual device with 100% efficiency is unfeasable, my instructor was generous enough to let us use addition forms of energy, as long as we do not add them when the vehicle is traveling the course

Some of my ideas:

-using a precompressed spring to increase Ek during the second lap
-creating a ferris-wheel like component that can elevate the vehicle (a magnetic ball) back to it's starting point.
-placing steel wire along the track, so the magnetic ball can follow it's path into the ferris wheel component.

Please help me, I am in 8th grade, and if I can get an A+ on this, I will be able to go to AP Biology next year. Thank you for your concerns and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
DefyGravity said:
I need some suggestions for how to create a model roller coaster that does not use additional energy (electricity, or touching the model in progress ) and can re-run the entire model twice.

Since creating a perpetual device with 100% efficiency is unfeasable, my instructor was generous enough to let us use addition forms of energy, as long as we do not add them when the vehicle is traveling the course

Some of my ideas:

-using a precompressed spring to increase Ek during the second lap
-creating a ferris-wheel like component that can elevate the vehicle (a magnetic ball) back to it's starting point.
-placing steel wire along the track, so the magnetic ball can follow it's path into the ferris wheel component.

Please help me, I am in 8th grade, and if I can get an A+ on this, I will be able to go to AP Biology next year. Thank you for your concerns and help.

Welcome to the PF.

Can you please post the exact text of the assignment? We especially need to understand what is meant by "let us use addition forms of energy, as long as we do not add them when the vehicle is traveling the course"?

That would seem to preclude anything that interacts with the vehicle after it is released (like the ferris wheel booster thing). And does it mean that the vehicle can carry an extra energy booster on-board (like the spring you mention)?

If it's just a gravity-driven vehicle that you release from the top of the course, then it will not be able to climb back up to that top at the end of the first lap. What is meant by "two laps" of the course? Can the vehicle fall into the "course", and do two laps without having to re-climb to the launch height?

Nevermind about that. I already have the basic foundations, but I need to know how to use a wheel bearing to create a see-saw like mechanism. Would I insert the wooden dowel through the middle and create supports so it is stable?

1. How do you design a roller coaster?

The design process for a roller coaster involves creating a track layout that includes elements such as drops, turns, and loops. This is typically done using computer software to simulate the ride and ensure it is safe and exciting.

2. What materials are used to build a roller coaster?

Roller coasters are typically made from steel or wood. The track is made from steel or wooden beams, while the support structure is usually made from steel. Some roller coasters also use fiberglass for certain elements, such as the train cars.

3. How do you ensure the safety of a roller coaster?

Before a roller coaster is opened to the public, it undergoes extensive testing and inspection to ensure it meets safety standards. This includes stress testing the track and ensuring the trains can safely navigate the entire layout.

4. How do you calculate the speed and acceleration of a roller coaster?

The speed and acceleration of a roller coaster are calculated using mathematical equations and formulas. This takes into account factors such as the height of the drops, the angle of the turns, and the weight of the train and passengers.

5. How long does it take to build a roller coaster?

The time it takes to build a roller coaster can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the materials being used. It can take anywhere from a few months to several years to complete a roller coaster, with larger and more elaborate rides taking longer to build.