How can I create a Wunderwaffle-inspired shot counter for a paintball gun?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dontcalmepete
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Project
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
dontcalmepete
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I'm not too sure if this is the right place to ask for help like this, if not a point in the right direction would be much appreciated. I'm a business student so I honestly don't know a lot of the inner workings of electrical components. However, I did work at a boat store for several years as well as a Radio Shack so I do understand how dc current works and I am pretty familiar with most of the names and basic functions of a lot of components.

As a hobby I play paintball, among other things, and as a joke I'd like to build a specific mod for a gun for a friend who has never played before. My friend is a big fan of the call of duty game franchise, specifically Nazi Zombies. For those of you who haven't played the Wunderwaffle dg-2 in the game shoots these bolts of lightning which seem to be powered by these little light bulb looking tubes . With every shot made a bulb goes dark, after 3 shots they need to be replaced. Here's a quick clip I found on youtube which shows the gun in action.



I want to make the same type of setup on a junked out hammer/catch blow back paintball gun. Not that shooting lightning from the end of the gun wouldn't be fun all I'm looking for is essentially a shot counter. What would be ideal is if once the main toggle switch was flipped all three lights came on. After the first shot one bulb would go out, and after the second shot the second bulb would go out, and the same thing with the third. After the third shot I'd like it if none of the bulbs went back on until you preformed a power cycle by flipping the toggle switch. I intend to use a momentary micro switch, which are common in electro-pneumatic paintball guns, to come in contact with the trigger to initiate the bulbs going out. The only thing I have a problem with is that I don't know how to design a system/device/circuit that would operate like that. Thus far I have come up with the following...

waffle.png


Any help as to how I can build a circuit which would regulate the bulbs in a descending order would be much appreciated. Thanks!

tl;dr: Need to make the lights turn on and off in a specific sequence
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah, if firefox doesn't know how to spell it then its a lost cause because I can't spell to save my life. I'm playing 5 or 6 games of words with friends and losing every one of them, feels bad man.

Anyway, if anyone knows how to tackle this problem that would be fantastic.
 
dontcalmepete said:
Any help as to how I can build a circuit which would regulate the bulbs in a descending order would be much appreciated. Thanks!

tl;dr: Need to make the lights turn on and off in a specific sequence

I think you'd need an electronic circuit with a JK flip-flop.
It's described on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JK_flip-flop#JK_flip-flop".
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You will probably want the "debounce" the switches with low pass and a Schmitt trigger. After that you can use a shift register and some inverters on the outputs (like not gates, jfets or even relays) The idea is to connect the reload button to the reset of the shift register so all outputs of the shift register turn off which you invert so its all turned on. You connect the shift register's input to logical high and each time you hit the trigger you put a pulse on the clock line and turn off one lamp.