How can I determine the necessary magnetic force to accelerate a metal bar?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter pedro.duarte
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Metal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
pedro.duarte
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hey mates,

I have a question that is probably really easy for you but i have no clue?

lets say we have a Magnetic field inside a coil. What I want to know is how big do I have to make that field so that the magnetic force will print an aceleration of let's say 1m/s^2 on a a metal bar.

I do believe that given the mass of the bar (lets say 1kg) I know that the mecanical force I need it F=ma => F = 1.

What I don't know is how you relate the magnetic force with the necessary mechanical force. I believe it has to do with the metal involved, any info you have on that will be welcome as well.

Still, can you give me a pratical answer so that I can solve this?

Thank you so much!
Pedro
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would depend on the magnetization of the bar in question. The more magnetized the metal is the faster it will travel. Also it depends on if the metal is ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, or diamagnetic
 
Many years ago. I was making measurements of a large (20 ton) electromagnet with a 1.2 tesla central field, and very large stray field. A graduate student ignored signs and wheeled by a high-pressure gas cylinder with a regulator on it. The magnet grabbed the gas cylinder and fortunately held on to it. The regulator broke off, and the bottle turned frosty due to adiabatic expansion of the high pressure gas. All of my research equipment was broken. If you are evaluating the safety aspects of magnetic fields, keep all magnetic objects away. Austenitic stainless is non-magnetic, martensitic is very magnetic. Aluminum, copper, brass, are non-magnetic.