How can I determine the necessary magnetic force to accelerate a metal bar?

• Thread starter pedro.duarte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Metal
In summary, the necessary magnetic field strength to produce 1m/s^2 acceleration on a metal bar depends on the magnetization of the bar and the type of metal it is made of. It is important to keep all magnetic objects away from strong magnetic fields for safety purposes. Austenitic stainless steel is non-magnetic while martensitic steel is highly magnetic. Other non-magnetic metals include aluminum, copper, and brass.
pedro.duarte
Hey mates,

I have a question that is probably really easy for you but i have no clue?

lets say we have a Magnetic field inside a coil. What I want to know is how big do I have to make that field so that the magnetic force will print an aceleration of let's say 1m/s^2 on a a metal bar.

I do believe that given the mass of the bar (lets say 1kg) I know that the mecanical force I need it F=ma => F = 1.

What I don't know is how you relate the magnetic force with the necessary mechanical force. I believe it has to do with the metal involved, any info you have on that will be welcome as well.

Still, can you give me a pratical answer so that I can solve this?

Thank you so much!
Pedro

Physics news on Phys.org
It would depend on the magnetization of the bar in question. The more magnetized the metal is the faster it will travel. Also it depends on if the metal is ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, or diamagnetic

Many years ago. I was making measurements of a large (20 ton) electromagnet with a 1.2 tesla central field, and very large stray field. A graduate student ignored signs and wheeled by a high-pressure gas cylinder with a regulator on it. The magnet grabbed the gas cylinder and fortunately held on to it. The regulator broke off, and the bottle turned frosty due to adiabatic expansion of the high pressure gas. All of my research equipment was broken. If you are evaluating the safety aspects of magnetic fields, keep all magnetic objects away. Austenitic stainless is non-magnetic, martensitic is very magnetic. Aluminum, copper, brass, are non-magnetic.

Related to How can I determine the necessary magnetic force to accelerate a metal bar?

1. How does magnetic force affect the properties of metal?

Magnetic force can change the physical and chemical properties of metal, such as its strength, conductivity, and even its crystal structure. This is because the movement of charged particles in a magnetic field can alter the arrangement of atoms within the metal.

2. Can magnets make metal stronger?

Yes, the presence of a strong magnetic field can increase the strength of certain types of metal. This is because the magnetic force aligns the atoms in a specific direction, making the metal more resistant to deformation.

3. Does magnetic force affect all types of metal in the same way?

No, different metals have different responses to magnetic force. Some metals, like iron and nickel, are strongly affected by magnets, while others, such as aluminum and copper, are only slightly affected.

4. How does temperature impact the relationship between magnetic force and metal?

Temperature can significantly affect the strength of the magnetic force on metal. As the temperature increases, the movement of atoms in the metal increases, making it less susceptible to the influence of a magnetic field.

5. Can magnetic force cause permanent changes to metal?

Yes, if a metal is exposed to a strong enough magnetic field for a prolonged period, it can lead to permanent changes in its properties. This is often seen in the industrial process of annealing, where metal is heated and exposed to a magnetic field to change its properties permanently.