Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I divide a room ?

1. Feb 29, 2008 #1
    I would like to divide an average sized bedroom into two rooms. I thought that a folding door could do, but I would like to know if there is some kind of light weight, sound proof material I could use to seperate the two parts. I would just split the room in the middle with this kind of wall if something like this exists. Does anyone know the easiest and best kind of wall ? I would also like it to be easily removable. Any ideas ? Thanks for any ideas.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Hinella.
    You will have to provide more specific information to get an informed answer. Such things as solidity, sound isolation (you won't get sound proof), mutual access, etc. will be determining factors toward a solution.

4. Mar 1, 2008 #3
    Simply some kind of wall that divides a room in two, with relatively good sound isolation, and maybe a door between the two rooms. Do you have some kind of wall in mind ? do they sell them at say Home Depot or something ?

The material should be relatively light and strong, but just what is available commercially for these kinds of small projects ? thanks for any ideas.

5. Mar 1, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You can get room dividers (ie: folding or telescoping walls on rails) from just about any office supply company. That might be your best apporach. Call someone like Staples or Ikea and find out what they've got.

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5
    hai
    i think a equal width of some wood (5cm) or plywood could be placed.and if u need free air to pass through u can leave space between the wood which could be used as the window.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  7. Mar 5, 2008 #6
    Your best bet would be to look for a folding or sliding door or folding wall panel, the'yre just sliding room dividers that go from floor to ceiling. If you do a search for acoustic folding door then you can find some doors made of materials with sound inhibiting qualities.

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7
    yep, folding sliding doors are one of the best option to divide a room. Folding sliding doors can be useful to separate rooms as well as can be a good option for saving lots of space in your home and it can also give different look to your home interior.

9. Nov 10, 2008 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How permanent? How involved? How sound proof?

Throwing up some 2x4s and drywall might take you a day. It would be fairly permanent though.

You've got to be more specific about your needs.

10. Nov 10, 2008 #9

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Not to mention being rather painful.

: rim shot :

Hah! Beat ya to it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?