Is There a Flaw in this Student's Calculus Logic?

• Thread starter 24forChromium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, a student asked if there was a way to expand (a+b)^0.5, to which the tutor responded that as far as they knew, there was not. The student then proposed an incorrect equation for the derivative of f(x^0.5), and suggested that (a+b)^0.5 could be expanded using variables a and b, but this was shown to be false. The tutor advised the student to work through their reasoning and find their own errors. The use of a Taylor series was also mentioned as a possible method for expansion, but may be too advanced for the student's current level.
24forChromium
I am tutoring a kid who just started on calculus. Today he asked me if there is a way to expand this:
(a+b)^0.5

I said as far as I know, there is no way, but then the kid said:

f'(x^0.5)= ( (x+h)^0.5-x^0.5 ) / h = 0.5 x ^ -0.5;
(x + h)^0.5 = h(0.5 x ^ -0.5) + x^0.5;

and then, he proposed that x and h can be replaced by other variables, such as a and b, and the reason why the equation (a + b)^0.5 = b(0.5 a ^ -0.5) + a^0.5 is false is because h in the original equation approximated zero, and any term with h in it at the original derivative is removed, therefore, the "actual" way (a+b)^0.5 should be expanded is:

b(0.5 a ^ -0.5) + a^0.5 + c; where c is a series of functions in terms of a and b

I suspect that some of his logic is fallacious when doing the algebra to the derivative, because the equality is only true with h-->0, then again I am not very far into the logic of maths myself, so is there a way to demonstrate that this is wrong? I know the general formula for binomial expansion with integer exponents, but I don't have the proof, so maybe that will help if you can give it to me too.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are two errors in the first line. The first one, which you identified, is that the limit as ##h\to 0## has not been taken, and the equation does not hold if the limit is not taken.

Secondly ##\frac{(x+h)^{0.5}-x^{0.5}}{h}\neq 0.5x^{0.5}##.

I suggest you ask him to justify his reasoning to you by working through the steps above one at a time. Working through and finding his own errors will be a more useful experience than having somebody else point them out for him.

One could use a Taylor series to expand the formula, but if he's just starting calculus then Taylor series may be a bit too advanced.

1. How can I explain complex concepts in simple terms?

One way to explain complex concepts in simple terms is to use analogies or metaphors that the audience can relate to. You can also break down the concept into smaller, more manageable pieces and use visual aids to help illustrate the key points.

2. How can I make my explanations more engaging?

To make your explanations more engaging, try to use real-life examples or case studies that demonstrate the practical applications of the concept. You can also encourage audience participation by asking thought-provoking questions or incorporating interactive elements into your presentation.

3. How can I ensure my explanations are accurate and reliable?

To ensure accuracy and reliability, it is important to thoroughly research the concept and use reputable sources. You can also consult with other experts in the field or conduct experiments to support your explanations.

4. How can I adapt my explanations for different audiences?

To adapt your explanations for different audiences, it is important to understand their level of knowledge and tailor your language and examples accordingly. You may also need to adjust the pacing and level of detail in your explanations to ensure understanding.

5. How can I use storytelling to enhance my explanations?

Storytelling can be a powerful tool in enhancing explanations by creating a narrative that captures the audience's attention and helps them understand the concept in a more relatable and memorable way. You can use storytelling techniques such as building suspense or using emotional appeals to make your explanations more impactful.