How Does Removing the Amplitude Factor Improve Ball Bounce Modelling?

In summary, the conversation revolves around modeling the height and time of a bouncing ball using a given equation and creating new functions to provide a more realistic decay effect. The removal of the value a in the new function h(x) leads to a more accurate model compared to the previous one, as the amplitude decay is closer to the actual value. The conversation also touches on the potential difficulty in answering a specific question without knowledge of differential calculus.
Kaspelek
Hi guys, just an intuitive question I've come across. Quite ambiguous, not sure on the correct response.

So basically I'm given a scenario where I'm provided the data of an actual height vs time points of a vertical ball drop and it's bounce up and back down etc.

Question starts off where I have to model the height and time of the bounce using the points given to the equation f(x)=|a*sin(b(x-c))|

Hence i work out a, b and c a=0.5, b=3, c=0.6 and drew the graph.

Commented on the fit of the model.Next I am asked to create a new function s(x) where it is created by multiplying the original f(x) function by an exponential function e(x) i.e. s(x)=e(x)*f(x).

This provides a decaying effect of the height, hence more realistic.

Finally, I am asked to draw a new function, h(x), whereby i only remove the value a from the f(x) function so h(x)=e(x)*|sin(b(x-c))|.

I am then asked, Having removed a=0.5 in f(x), why does this give a more accurate model than s(x).My thoughts?
I believe it is because that since the value of a is less than 1, the height of the ball bounce is proportionally decreasing unnecessarily when comparing the h(x) and s(x) models respectively.

Thoughts guys?Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By the time you get to the first bounce, the decaying amplitude (which should presumably be $e^{-x}$) is:

\(\displaystyle e^{-0.6}\approx0.55\)

and this is closer to 0.5 than half that value.

Suggested that the response is worth 2 marks, thinking there's more.

What has the amplitude decayed to when the ball reaches it's peak after the first bounce? Unless you know some differential calculus, you will have to rely on a graph...

I would first commend the person for their intuitive approach to the problem and their use of mathematical modeling to understand the behavior of the ball bounce. I would also agree with their reasoning for why removing the value of a from the function h(x) gives a more accurate model.

However, I would also suggest that the person should consider the physical factors that may affect the ball bounce, such as air resistance, surface friction, and the elasticity of the ball. These factors can also be incorporated into the model to make it more realistic and accurate. Additionally, it would be helpful to compare the modeled results with experimental data to further validate the accuracy of the model.

Overall, I would encourage the person to continue exploring and refining their model to better understand the behavior of the ball bounce. This type of problem-solving approach is essential in the field of science and can lead to new discoveries and advancements.

Related to How Does Removing the Amplitude Factor Improve Ball Bounce Modelling?

1) How does the height of the ball affect its bounce?

The height of the ball directly affects its potential energy, which is converted into kinetic energy upon impact with the ground. The higher the ball is dropped from, the more potential energy it has and the higher it will bounce.

2) What is the relationship between the surface of the ball and its bounce?

The surface of the ball, specifically its material and texture, can greatly impact its bounce. A smoother surface will result in a higher bounce due to less friction with the ground. A softer surface, such as a rubber ball, can also result in a higher bounce compared to a harder surface like a metal ball.

3) How does air pressure affect the bounce of a ball?

Air pressure can affect the bounce of a ball by altering its shape and elasticity. A higher air pressure inside the ball will result in a more rigid surface and a higher bounce. Similarly, a lower air pressure will result in a more flexible surface and a lower bounce.

4) What role does gravity play in the ball bounce model?

Gravity is a crucial factor in the ball bounce model as it determines the speed at which the ball will fall and how much potential energy it will have upon impact. The force of gravity also affects how high the ball will bounce back up after hitting the ground.

5) How does the angle of impact affect the bounce of a ball?

The angle of impact, or the angle at which the ball hits the ground, can greatly influence its bounce. A steeper angle of impact will result in a higher bounce, while a more shallow angle will result in a lower bounce. This is because a steeper angle allows for more potential energy to be transferred into kinetic energy upon impact.