How can I find limits and slopes in calculus?

• Thread starter erik05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, Daniel is explaining that the two limits of a function, if they exist, are either x^2 = 0 or 3x+1 = 1. The first limit does not exist because there is a jump discontinuity at x = 0. The second limit is correct, but the derivative at that point does not exist, so the function is still defined but its value is zero.
erik05
A few calculus questions...

Hey all. I have a few questions involving calculus. Any help would be much appreciated.

1) [tex] f(x)= \left\{\begin{array}{cc}x^2,&\mbox{if} x \leq 0\\3x+1, &\mbox{if} 0<x<4\\12-x^2,&\mbox{if} x>4\end{array}\right [/tex]

Find the following limits,if they exist:

i) [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 2} 3x+1 [/tex]
[tex] = 3(2) +1 [/tex]
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 2} 7 [/tex]

ii) [tex] f(0) [/tex]
replacing every equation with 0, i got [tex] x^2= 0, 3x+1= 1, 12-x^2= 12 [/tex] the answer i got was that the limit does not exist. Would this be true in this case?

2) Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve [tex] y=x^3-x [/tex] at the point (-2,-6) using:

i) [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h} [/tex]

ii) [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}\frac{f(x)-f(a)}{x-a} [/tex]

i) Using the first formula I got an answer of 11 so technically, using the second formula should give me the same the answer but I can't get it and I have to show work. Here is what I have so far:

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow -2} \frac {x^3-x-((-2)^3-(-2))}{x+2} [/tex]
[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow -2} \frac {x^3-x+6}{x+2} [/tex]

Not applying L'Hospital's Rule and solving this by factoring, I need to get a [tex] (x+2) [/tex] on the top so the top and bottm [tex] (x+2) [/tex] equal one. And then I can put in a -2 for x since you're not going to be dividing by zero. I hope I make sense and could anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking your last bit of factoring first:
Yep, this will work. Use polynomial division.

For ii),you need to replace (actually compute the limit) only on the top two braches,because the third's domain DOES NOT INCLUDE "0"...

As for the last,u shouldn't be using L'H^ospital's rule,because:
1.It's technically "more advanced"...
2.It can be solved in a much more simple way,as Arildno suggested.

Daniel.

For 1ii) , I calculated the limit for [tex] x^2 [/tex] and [tex] 3x+1 [/tex] and I got the answer 0 and 3 respectively as the limit. Would this be the correct way to approach that question if it asked to find the limit at f(0)?

Yes,that would be the correct way to approach the problem,but,unfortunately,the result is not correct.

Daniel.

P.S.You may want to check again the rule of addition between 0 and 1.

erik05 said:
For 1ii) , I calculated the limit for [tex] x^2 [/tex] and [tex] 3x+1 [/tex] and I got the answer 0 and 3 respectively as the limit. Would this be the correct way to approach that question if it asked to find the limit at f(0)?
More specifically, the limit as you approach from the left
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^-} x^2 = 0 [/tex]

The limit as you approach from the right
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0^+} 3x+1 = 1[/tex]

If the two limits aren't equal, then the limit
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} f(x) [/tex]
does not exist.

Got it. Thank you for all the help.

I'm not clear on one thing ? Why does f(0) not exist ? There is a jump discontinuity at x = 0, but the function is still defined as [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex] at x = 0, so f(0) = 0, isn't it ?

The derivative at that point, of course, does not exist. But I think the function is still very much defined and its value is zero.

Last edited:
f(0) does exist. The limit of f(0) doesn't exist.

OK, that's clearer, thanks.

Related to How can I find limits and slopes in calculus?

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that involves the study of rates of change and accumulation. It is used to model and analyze continuous change in various quantities, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. What are the two main branches of calculus?

The two main branches of calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over a given interval.

3. What are the basic concepts of calculus?

The basic concepts of calculus include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limits are used to describe the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. Derivatives represent the rate of change of a function at a specific point, while integrals measure the accumulation of a quantity over an interval.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculus?

Calculus has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze real-world phenomena such as motion, population growth, and optimization problems.

5. Is calculus difficult to learn?

Like any subject, the difficulty of learning calculus varies from person to person. Some may find it challenging, but with proper instruction and practice, anyone can understand and apply the concepts of calculus. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before learning calculus.