How can I find the poles of a transfer function without using a computer?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transfer function for a given problem, and the process of finding the poles of the transfer function. The speaker mentions using MATLAB to find the roots and asks for a way to find the first root without using a computer, to which the response is to use algebraic methods to factor the polynomial. The correct form of the transfer function is also clarified.
hairy_grape

Homework Statement

This is an example in the book that I am trying to work.
I am given L(s) = (10(s+10)) / (s(s+3)(s+5))

The transfer function T(s) = 1 / (1+L(s))

Solving for the transfer function I get T(s) = (10(s+10)) / (s^3 + 8s^2 + 25s + 100)

The process of getting the zeros is not shown in the example.

zeros (s+6.5182)(s+.7409+3.8461j)(s+.7409-3.8461j).

I have confirmed the (s+6.5182) in MATLAB then use synthetic division and quadratic formula to get other roots.

My question is how do i get the first root without using MATLAB because we are not allowed to use computers on the test.

thanks,
mike

Physics news on Phys.org
You use what you learned back when you studied algebra about how to factor a polynomial, and your instructor would have to give you a problem where you can factor the polynomial by hand. For the example, you've given, you'd need a computer or calculator to find the roots.

By the way, what you're finding are the poles, not the zeros, of the transfer function. The zeros are where the numerator vanishes so T(s)=0. Also, on a side note, the numerator of T(s) you wrote above is incorrect.

vela said:
You use what you learned back when you studied algebra about how to factor a polynomial, and your instructor would have to give you a problem where you can factor the polynomial by hand. For the example, you've given, you'd need a computer or calculator to find the roots.

By the way, what you're finding are the poles, not the zeros, of the transfer function. The zeros are where the numerator vanishes so T(s)=0. Also, on a side note, the numerator of T(s) you wrote above is incorrect.

Yeah you are right. I meant poles of the transfer function/ zeros of the denominator polynomial. And the transfer function should be T(s) = L(s)/(1+L(s)). Apparently I can't type something correct right out of the book lol

Related to How can I find the poles of a transfer function without using a computer?

1. What are zeros of a transfer function?

Zeros of a transfer function refer to the input values that make the output of the function equal to zero. These values are also known as roots or solutions of the function.

2. How do you find the zeros of a transfer function?

To find the zeros of a transfer function, you can set the output of the function equal to zero and solve for the input variable. This can be done analytically or numerically using various methods such as factoring, graphing, or using a computer program.

3. What is the significance of zeros in a transfer function?

The zeros of a transfer function can provide important information about the behavior and stability of a system. They can indicate where the system output will equal zero and can also affect the frequency response and poles of the transfer function.

4. Can a transfer function have multiple zeros?

Yes, a transfer function can have multiple zeros. These are referred to as multiple or repeated zeros and can occur when the transfer function has a polynomial of degree greater than one in the numerator.

5. How do zeros of a transfer function relate to the poles?

Zeros and poles are closely related in a transfer function. The poles are the values that make the denominator of the transfer function equal to zero, while the zeros are the values that make the numerator equal to zero. The locations of the poles and zeros in the complex plane can affect the stability and frequency response of the system.