How can I interface a DFIG in a multi machine environment?

In summary, the choice of reference frame for modeling and control is flexible, but using the network bus as an infinite bus can be useful and simple. However, if a doubly-fed induction generator (DFIG) is present in a wind farm, it may have a phase difference with the bus due to slip. To find this angle, it is recommended to design the control scheme as if it were supplying an infinite bus and then assess its performance against the actual system. This approach allows for better control performance within a reasonable range of connected devices. Ultimately, all phase angles are relative, so the choice of reference frame does not affect the relative angles.
SherLOCKed
Which will be my reference frame while modelling and control - the reference machine in the network or the network bus itself?And if so how do i relate the dfig to this reference frame?

Engineering news on Phys.org
By DFIG, do you mean doubly-fed induction generator, as in a wind generator?

Modeling can usually succeed with any choice of reference. However, choosing the network bus to be an infinite bus (voltage magnitude=100%, and phase angle=0), is both useful and often simplest.

Likes SherLOCKed
anorlunda said:
By DFIG, do you mean doubly-fed induction generator, as in a wind generator?

Modeling can usually succeed with any choice of reference. However, choosing the network bus to be an infinite bus (voltage magnitude=100%, and phase angle=0), is both useful and often simplest.
Thanks for your reply. But Instead of a single machine infinite bus,I needed to connect a dfig in a wind farm which already consists of synchronous generators and a few dfig's. So the synchronous machines will have a zero phase angle with the network bus but the dfig must have some phase difference with the bus due to the slip, isn't it? If yes, how do I find that angle via modeling?

It would probably be wise to design the control ls as if it was supplying an infinite bus, then check the performance against the actual system. A control scheme which must change any time something in the neighborhood changes, is not very good. You want controls which work well within a reasonable range of nearby connected devices. Performance against an infinite bus is a good way to approach that.

Your question was about the reference. All phase angles are relative. No matter which point you choose as reference, the relative angles are the same.

Good luck

Thank you so much :)

1. What is a DFIG and how does it work in a multi machine environment?

A DFIG (Doubly Fed Induction Generator) is a type of electric generator used in wind turbines. It consists of a wound rotor connected to the grid and a stator connected to the generator control system. In a multi machine environment, multiple DFIGs can be connected together to form a larger power system.

2. How do I interface a DFIG in a multi machine environment?

To interface a DFIG in a multi machine environment, you will need to connect the stator and rotor terminals of each DFIG to the respective terminals of the other machines. This will allow for the exchange of power and control signals between the machines.

3. What are the benefits of using a DFIG in a multi machine environment?

One of the main benefits of using a DFIG in a multi machine environment is its ability to operate in both grid-connected and isolated power systems. This allows for more flexibility in the power system and can help improve system stability and reliability.

4. Are there any challenges to consider when interfacing a DFIG in a multi machine environment?

Yes, there are some challenges to consider when interfacing a DFIG in a multi machine environment. One challenge is coordinating the control and protection systems of each DFIG to ensure proper operation and avoid any potential conflicts.

5. Can I use a DFIG in a multi machine environment with other types of generators?

Yes, a DFIG can be used in a multi machine environment with other types of generators, such as synchronous generators or induction generators. However, proper coordination and control will be necessary to ensure efficient and reliable operation of the power system.