How can I manage my time effectively for homework and studying?

• Thread starter speg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary: Just keep an eye out. an out or two out of your day for a class will not hurt you. I myself have times, when sitting in class, I think about more productive uses of that time I could be engaged in, especially near the end of term when I have finals and projects in every class that I need to complete.

How much homework per day?

• < 1h

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • 1h - 2h

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • 2-3h

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • >3h

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
speg
Thank god! I don't know what happened, it's over already and I feel like I still have to learn everything. With only quantum and calculus exams remaing, I cannot wait until Christmas.

Anyway, to make this homework related I was wondering how much time you guys spend on homework. (just time spent per day, outside of classes) Perhaps my lack of academic success is proportional to the amount of time I spend on it. I do all my assignment (or at least attempt them) but somehow everything ends up pilling up and I barely survive.

I'll (hopefully!) end up with mostly C's again this term. Which is dissapointing, this term was supposed to be better!

Thank god I'm on a coop work term next semester ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably 8 hours per day...!

But that's because don't go to class :wink:.

Perhaps you might want to try that too next semester...? I just finished my first semester and it wasn't long after it started that I realized I would not have or would have barely survived if I kept spending time in class listening to something I will necessarily have to read about in the book anyway. And instead of taking notes from what I can catch from the teachers regurgitating the material, I take BOOK notes and make lots of comment about the text on my own. And using this "method", I did much better than all my friends who do go to class and who were generally better than me in high school.

quasar987 said:
Probably 8 hours per day...!

But that's because don't go to class :wink:.

Perhaps you might want to try that too next semester...? I just finished my first semester and it wasn't long after it started that I realized I would not have or would have barely survived if I kept spending time in class listening to something I will necessarily have to read about in the book anyway. And instead of taking notes from what I can catch from the teachers regurgitating the material, I take BOOK notes and make lots of comment about the text on my own. And using this "method", I did much better than all my friends who do go to class and who were generally better than me in high school.

Don't expect that to last much longer.

Why do you say that? Have you had that experience yourself?

So far 50% has gone for +3 hours. That's certainly my regular homework...apart from eating and sleeping, homework is about all I do during the school year. Now, it being break, my average homework time is zilch, lol. That's got to change sometime soon or I'm going to die next semester.

I find I'm pretty successful when I take the time to read the book the night before lecture and look over my notes afterwards. That keeps everything fresh in my mind.

quasar987 said:
Why do you say that? Have you had that experience yourself?

yeah, pretty much.

I mean, there will always be classes you will be able to skip most of the time, but there are going to be classes that you must absolutely not skip. either because the Prof is a stickler, or because the Prof tests on what is in his lectures rather than the book (that happens a lot). and then there is always the 15% attendance grade that some throw in just to mess up the smart kids who would get an A otherwise.

just keep an eye out. an out or two out of your day for a class will not hurt you. I myself have times, when sitting in class, I think about more productive uses of that time I could be engaged in, especially near the end of term when I have finals and projects in every class that I need to complete.

Related to How can I manage my time effectively for homework and studying?

1. What does "almost done this term" mean?

"Almost done this term" means that the current academic term or semester is coming to an end and there are only a few weeks or days left before it is officially finished.

2. Is "almost done this term" the same as "end of term"?

Yes, "almost done this term" and "end of term" essentially mean the same thing. They both refer to the end of the current academic term or semester.

3. When will the term officially be over if we are almost done?

The exact date of when the term will be over varies depending on the specific academic institution and their academic calendar. However, it typically ends around mid to late December for fall terms and mid to late April for spring terms.

4. What should I do if I am almost done this term?

If you are almost done this term, it is important to make sure you have completed all of your assignments, projects, and exams before the term officially ends. You should also start preparing for the next term by registering for classes and obtaining any necessary materials.

5. Will the term be extended if we are almost done and there is still work to be completed?

It is unlikely that the term will be extended if there is still work to be completed. However, it is important to communicate with your professors if you are struggling to complete the work on time. They may be able to provide extensions or other accommodations.