How can I prevent my shoulder bolt axle from causing my wheels to lock up?

• Thread starter amfmnsam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axle Bolt
In summary: This is probably the less desirable solution, as it adds an extra step to the assembly process. In summary, the coach made a cart from 3/4 plywood that he used last year to store starting blocks. The cart has shoulder bolts that he drilled through the ends of and locked with a cotter pin. One of the wheels locks up and he thinks he can fix it by not using a nut and by taking up the space with washers. Another solution is to drill another hole on the other side of the nut to put another cotter pin in.
amfmnsam
Coaching grade school track, I have to carry around several starting blocks. Last year, to store for the next season, I made a rude carrier from 3/4 plywood that held 5 blocks, stacked on top of each other. I put wheels on the back of the cart, using shoulder bolts, which the kind man at Home Depot helped me select. I drilled through the ends of the bolts and locked the nut on with a cotter pin, feeling clever.

In use, one of the wheels locks up, as the rotation tightens the nut on the bolt. My first fix thought is to not use a nut, take up the space with washers and let the cotter pin hold the wheel on the cart. That seems like a lot of pressure for the cotter pin.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Amfmnsam.
I have no idea what a 'shoulder bolt' is. Perhaps what we call a 'carriage bolt' or 'shank bolt'? That's a bolt with a long unthreaded section beneath the head, then a square segment, and then a rounded head with no screwdriver slots.
The obvious solution would be to use left-hand threads on the side that's giving you trouble, but if might not be easy to find them. Elsewise, you could use lock nuts or a chemical locker to prevent rotation of the nut relative to the bolt.

amfmnsam said:
In use, one of the wheels locks up, as the rotation tightens the nut on the bolt.

To properly use a shoulder bolt (aka, stripper bolt) as an axle, the hole for the threaded portion must be smaller than the shank diameter. That way, the force of tightening will be exerted only on the shoulder.

If I get a chance, I'll make a quick sketch to demonstrate.

If the threaded section of the bolt is long enough, could you put two nuts on it? I guess it depends how it is set up because what I'm thinking is you screw one nut on all the way such that it can't be screwed on any further so that it now serves as a barrier. On one side you have the wheel, and on the other is the frame and nut holding it. Re-reading this perhaps it makes more sense in my head than it does here haha.

Alternatively, could you drill another hole on the other side of the nut to put another cotter pin in? Now you have one on either side of the nut and it can't rotate.

Related to How can I prevent my shoulder bolt axle from causing my wheels to lock up?

1. What is a shoulder bolt axle problem?

A shoulder bolt axle problem refers to a mechanical issue where the shoulder bolt, which is a type of fastener used to secure rotating components such as wheels or pulleys to a stationary structure, becomes loose or fails to function properly.

2. What are the common causes of shoulder bolt axle problems?

Some common causes of shoulder bolt axle problems include improper installation, wear and tear from frequent use, corrosion or rust, and exceeding the recommended torque or load capacity for the bolt.

3. How can I prevent shoulder bolt axle problems?

To prevent shoulder bolt axle problems, it is important to follow proper installation guidelines, regularly inspect and maintain the bolts for wear and tear, and use the correct torque and load capacity for the specific application. Using anti-seize lubricants and corrosion-resistant materials can also help prevent future problems.

4. What are the potential consequences of a shoulder bolt axle problem?

If a shoulder bolt axle problem is not addressed, it can lead to equipment failure, which can result in costly repairs, downtime, and potentially dangerous situations. It can also cause damage to other components and compromise the overall performance and function of the equipment.

5. How can I troubleshoot a shoulder bolt axle problem?

If you suspect a shoulder bolt axle problem, you can troubleshoot by inspecting the bolts for signs of wear or damage, checking the torque and load capacity, and ensuring proper installation. If the problem persists, consulting with a professional or replacing the bolts may be necessary.