How can I prove this binomial identity?

In summary, the given problem is to prove the binomial identity {n+k-1 \choose k} = \sum_{i=1}^k {k-1\choose i-1}{n\choose i}. The author has attempted to use induction and generating functions but has not been successful. They are looking for hints on how to approach the problem, including considering the problem in terms of choosing k balls from a box containing n red balls and k-1 blue balls, as well as using the identity {k-1 \choose i-1} = {k-1 \choose k-i}.
Pietjuh

Homework Statement

Prove that the following binomial identity holds:

[tex]{n+k-1 \choose k} = \sum_{i=1}^k {k-1\choose i-1}{n\choose i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

One of the methods I've tried is to use induction on the variable n, but while trying this I got stuk on rewriting the binomial coefficients... can someone give me a hint if I can use another simple binomial identity for this?

Another thing I have tried to do is to look at the generating function of the left hand side, and then try to rewrite this to a generating function for the right hand side, but that didn't succeed either...

Can someone point me a little bit in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try finding two ways to count the number of ways you can choose k balls from a box containing n red balls and k-1 red balls.

Also note that
[tex]{k-1 \choose i-1} = {k-1 \choose k-i}[/tex]

What is a binomial identity?

A binomial identity is a mathematical equation that shows the relationship between two binomial expressions, which are expressions with two terms connected by a mathematical operation.

What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula used to expand binomial expressions raised to a power. It states that (a + b)^n = a^n + n*a^(n-1)b + n(n-1)/2!*a^(n-2)*b^2 + ... + b^n, where n is a positive integer.

How is the binomial theorem useful?

The binomial theorem is useful in simplifying and solving problems involving binomial expressions raised to a power. It allows for quick and efficient expansion of these expressions, making it easier to solve equations and find patterns.

What is the relationship between Pascal's Triangle and binomial identities?

Pascal's Triangle is a triangular array of numbers that shows the coefficients of the terms in the expansion of a binomial expression raised to a power. Binomial identities can be derived from Pascal's Triangle, making it a useful tool in understanding and proving these identities.

Can binomial identities be used in real-life situations?

Yes, binomial identities can be used in real-life situations, such as in probability and statistics. The binomial distribution, which is based on binomial identities, is used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes in a given number of trials. It is also used in fields such as genetics, where it can be used to determine the likelihood of certain genetic traits being passed on from parents to offspring.