How can I simplify this thermodynamics problem?

• Thread starter theneedtoknow
  • Start date
In summary, the problem requires reducing a mathematical expression involving a^2 and e^a to the form of 1 - (a^2)/12 as a approaches 0. The initial expression is a^2 * e^a / (e^a - 1)^2. After some manipulation and factoring, the expression can be simplified to (1 + a + a^2/2 + a^3/6) / (1 + a + 7/12*a^2 + a^3/6 + a^4/36). By approximating the exponential and discarding terms smaller than a^2, the final result can be obtained as 1 - (a^2)/12.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

This is actually from a thermodynamics problem, but to just reduce it to math, I've gotten rid of a bunch of physical constants and replaced a larger term with simply "a" , but basically I have to show that:
a^2 * e^a / (e^a - 1)^2
reduces to 1 - (a^2)/12 as a goes to 0
i'm suppsed to approximate the exponential and keep terms up until a^3, until the final answer where I can throw out anything smaller than a^2
so e^a = 1 + a + a^2/2 + a^3/6

after expanding, the denominator is (a^2 + a^3 + 7/12 *a^4 + a^5/6 + a^6/36)
factoring out an a^2 and cancelin with the a^2 in the numerator i get

(1 + a + a^2/2 + a^3 / 6) / (1 + a + 7/12*a^2 + a^3/6 + a^4/36)

I don't really know how to proceed from here, even if I assume it is at this point where i can throw out the last 2 terms of the denominator and the last term of the numerator...I just don't see how i can get 1 - (a^2)/12

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi theneedtoknow! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
theneedtoknow said:
I have to show that:
a^2 * e^a / (e^a - 1)^2
reduces to 1 - (a^2)/12 as a goes to 0

oooh, you have made it difficult! :cry:

Hint: ea/(ea - 1)2 = 1/(ea/2 - e-a/2)2 :wink:

FAQ: How can I simplify this thermodynamics problem?

1. How can I reduce my carbon footprint?

Reducing your carbon footprint can be achieved by making small changes in your daily habits, such as using public transportation, walking or biking instead of driving, reducing energy consumption at home, and supporting sustainable businesses. Additionally, you can also offset your carbon emissions by supporting carbon reduction projects or planting trees.

2. How can I reduce my waste?

To reduce waste, you can start by practicing the 3 R's: reduce, reuse, and recycle. Avoid buying unnecessary items and opt for products with less packaging. Reuse items such as containers and bags, and recycle whenever possible. You can also compost food scraps and yard waste to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills.

3. How can I reduce my stress levels?

Reducing stress can be achieved by practicing self-care activities such as exercise, meditation, and getting enough sleep. It is also important to identify and address the root causes of stress, whether it be work-related or personal issues. Additionally, creating a balanced schedule and setting boundaries can help manage stress levels.

4. How can I reduce my risk of getting sick?

To reduce your risk of getting sick, it is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet, staying physically active, and getting enough sleep. Additionally, practicing good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly and avoiding contact with sick individuals, can help prevent the spread of illnesses.

5. How can I reduce my expenses?

To reduce expenses, you can start by creating a budget and tracking your spending to identify areas where you can cut back. Look for ways to save money, such as buying in bulk, using coupons, and comparing prices before making a purchase. Additionally, try to limit unnecessary expenses and prioritize your needs over wants.

Back