How can I represent this circuit in state space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of representing a circuit in state space and finding two equations x'1 and x'2. It mentions using Kirchhoff's equations for the two loops and the junction, as well as knowing the values for V(C1), V(C2), i(c1), and i(c2). The speaker also suggests using known values, such as inputs and component values, to simplify the equations.
Emmanouel
I have this circuit and I must represent it in state space. I know the process because I have done similar ones but having trouble with this one. I have found the Kirchhoff equtations for the 2 loops and for the upper juction, whatever I do after I can't end up to two equations x'1 and x'2.

• First loop: V(t)=V(R1)+V(c1)+V(R2)
  • Second loop: V(R3)+V(c2)=V(R2)+V(c1)
  • Junction: i(t)=i(R3)+i(c1) or i(t)=i(c2)+i(R2) => i(c1)=i(R3)+i(t) and i(c2)=i(R2)+i(t)
I know that V(C1)=x1 ,and V(c2)=x2 and i(c1)=c1*x'1 , i(c2)=c2*x'2

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/uploaded_files/21768/circuit.bmp

Engineering news on Phys.org
Emmanouel said:
I have this circuit and I must represent it in state space. I know the process because I have done similar ones but having trouble with this one. I have found the Kirchhoff equtations for the 2 loops and for the upper juction, whatever I do after I can't end up to two equations x'1 and x'2.

• First loop: V(t)=V(R1)+V(c1)+V(R2)
  • Second loop: V(R3)+V(c2)=V(R2)+V(c1)
  • Junction: i(t)=i(R3)+i(c1) or i(t)=i(c2)+i(R2) => i(c1)=i(R3)+i(t) and i(c2)=i(R2)+i(t)
I know that V(C1)=x1 ,and V(c2)=x2 and i(c1)=c1*x'1 , i(c2)=c2*x'2

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/uploaded_files/21768/circuit.bmp

Welcome to the PF.

Is this question for schoolwork? If so, I can move it to the schoolwork forums for you.

can you post a circuit schematic...

You need to get your equations in terms of known values, such as inputs and component values.
example. if you want to find the voltage across a resistor 2, instead of saying V(source)-V(resistor_1)-V(resistor_2)=zero, say V_out=V_in*R_1/(R_1+R_2)

does that make sense?

1. What is a circuit to state space model?

A circuit to state space model is a mathematical representation of a physical electrical circuit. It describes the behavior of the circuit in terms of its input, output, and internal states.

2. Why is a state space model used for circuits?

A state space model is used for circuits because it provides a more comprehensive understanding of the circuit's behavior compared to traditional circuit analysis techniques. It takes into account the circuit's internal states, which can be useful for complex circuits with multiple inputs and outputs.

3. How is a circuit to state space model derived?

A circuit to state space model is derived by using the laws of circuit analysis, such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, to create a set of differential equations that describe the circuit's behavior. These equations are then converted into matrix form to create the state space model.

4. What are the advantages of using a state space model for circuits?

One of the main advantages of using a state space model for circuits is that it can easily handle nonlinear and time-varying systems. It also allows for the analysis of the circuit's stability, controllability, and observability. Additionally, state space models can be easily simulated and implemented in computer software.

5. Are there any limitations to using a circuit to state space model?

While state space models are powerful tools for circuit analysis, they do have some limitations. They are more complex than traditional circuit analysis techniques and may require a higher level of mathematical understanding. Additionally, they may not be suitable for simple circuits that can be easily analyzed using traditional methods.