How can I see Infra-Red and Ultra Violet waves?

• Thread starter trickslk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary, it is possible to view infrared and ultraviolet waves with a secondary method by using a camera and UV protection.
trickslk
Hello physics community,

Im new here, and this is my first post.

Im searching the internet, looking for a way to see the infrared waves and ultraviolet waves.
I know I have to use a secondary way to look at these waves.

Its really a great help, if you can tell me few simple equipments , which I can make myself at home. And also the scientific equipments that I can use for this.

I know I sound primary, but I am just trying to expand my viewing range and knowledge.

thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Infrared can be viewed with an infrared camera. some handphones have this functionality. ultraviolet rays can be seen using

UV light is dangerous and can cause skin cancer so keep your distance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jose_Peeterson said:
Infrared can be viewed with an infrared camera. some handphones have this functionality. ultraviolet rays can be seen using

UV light is dangerous and can cause skin cancer so keep your distance...

Not only is UV damaging to the skin, it is not very healthy to have UV strike the eyes.

This article discusses the damage that UV exposure can cause to one's eyes and vision:

http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/uv-protection?sso=y

Last edited by a moderator:
SteamKing said:
Not only is UV damaging to the skin, it is not very healthy to have UV strike the eyes.

This article discusses the damage that UV exposure can cause to one's eyes and vision:

http://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/uv-protection?sso=y

Nonetheless, it is possible to survive the experience of walking in the garden in full sunlight - with plenty enough UV radiation for an appropriate camera / sensor to detect it. Many insects have UV sensitive vision and many flowers have UV reflective patterns to show where the nectaries are. Humans do not see these.
A normal digital camera sensor is sensitive to IR and people used to remove the IR filter in older cameras and do IR photography (btw you can also get IR film). However, normal lens glass absorbs UV and you can't do the same trick with UV. You'd have to Google UV camera.

thanks everyone, appreciate it.

fedaykin said:
Humans can actually see UV light, but you have to lack a lens to do so.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphakia

The fact that there are insects with UV vision could be due to the different optics (no lens of any thickness in a multiple eye). This would reduce the absorption of UV,, which would mean they could use the same light sensing chemistry as mammals (humans).

Try pointing a TV remote control at the video camera on your mobile phone. Sometimes you can see the IR LEDs flashing or at least light up when buttons are pressed.

Try YouTube for UV. There is at least one on there by someone that had a canon 600D modified to a full spectrum by removing an internal filter.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UrvViq2Y7OE

Not cheap option.

I track a 248 nm UV laser path by using a simple business card. It has a coating that causes it to fluoresce when the light impinges on it.

Zz.

1. How can I see Infra-Red and Ultra Violet waves?

Infra-red and ultra-violet waves are not visible to the human eye, as they fall outside of the visible light spectrum. However, there are specialized devices such as cameras and goggles that can detect and display these waves.

2. Can I train my eyes to see Infra-Red and Ultra Violet waves?

No, it is not possible for humans to train their eyes to see infra-red and ultra-violet waves. Our eyes are only able to detect a limited range of wavelengths within the visible light spectrum.

3. Why are Infra-Red and Ultra Violet waves not visible to the human eye?

This is due to the structure of our eyes and the way they are able to detect and process light. Infra-red waves have longer wavelengths and ultra-violet waves have shorter wavelengths compared to visible light, making them undetectable to our eyes.

4. Are there any health risks associated with seeing Infra-Red and Ultra Violet waves?

Yes, there are health risks associated with prolonged exposure to both infra-red and ultra-violet waves. Infra-red waves can cause skin burns and tissue damage, while ultra-violet waves can lead to eye damage and increased risk of skin cancer.

5. Can animals see Infra-Red and Ultra Violet waves?

Yes, some animals have the ability to see infra-red and/or ultra-violet waves. For example, many insects and birds can see ultra-violet light, which helps them navigate and find food sources. Some snakes and fish have specialized organs that allow them to detect infra-red light, which helps them hunt and sense their surroundings.