1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I solve this displacement question?

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    Solving displacement using compoenents

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x3wmj6.jpg

2. Relevant equations

I decided to use the horizontal and vertical component method to solve for the displacement of E and got the answer 32.7m [W74.5N] (above). However the answer provided by the question states that the resultant vector E is actually 32m [E25N] (above)

3. The attempt at a solution

Please refer to the above pic.

Am I using the correct approach to solve for the resultant vector E/displacement of E=A-C+2B-D?

Please help

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Double B, and change the directions of C and D. Redraw the vectors.

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    is the method i am using right though?

EDIT: so first, I have to reverse C and D, redraw vectors and then perform the component calculation from there?

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the solution you have taken 8, but it should be 16.
    If you reverse the directions of C and D( - C, -D), their x-components of these vectors add up to A adds to

6. Sep 12, 2009 #5
    thanks i got the right answer now

for future references, could you tell me if the following approaches will be correct?

If i am adding vectors (i.e. A+B+C+D.....) i do not need to reverse anything, I will just have to perform components calculation as usual

If I am subtracting vectors (i.e. A-B or 2A-B), I will have to reverse the direction of vectors accordingly and apply any multiplication to a vector (i.e. doubling or tripling) as necessary

7. Sep 12, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

8. Sep 12, 2009 #7
    thank you very much~!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook