Why Do Vector Components Give Different Displacement Results?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving displacement using components and the use of horizontal and vertical component method. The questioner is unsure if they are using the correct approach and asks for confirmation on whether to reverse vectors when adding or subtracting. The expert confirms that reversing vectors is necessary when subtracting and provides guidance on how to correctly perform the calculations.
Acez
Solving displacement using compoenents

Homework Statement

x3wmj6.jpg

Homework Equations

I decided to use the horizontal and vertical component method to solve for the displacement of E and got the answer 32.7m [W74.5N] (above). However the answer provided by the question states that the resultant vector E is actually 32m [E25N] (above)

The Attempt at a Solution

Please refer to the above pic.

Am I using the correct approach to solve for the resultant vector E/displacement of E=A-C+2B-D?

Please help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Double B, and change the directions of C and D. Redraw the vectors.

is the method i am using right though?

EDIT: so first, I have to reverse C and D, redraw vectors and then perform the component calculation from there?

In the solution you have taken 8, but it should be 16.
If you reverse the directions of C and D( - C, -D), their x-components of these vectors add up to A adds to

thanks i got the right answer now

for future references, could you tell me if the following approaches will be correct?

If i am adding vectors (i.e. A+B+C+D...) i do not need to reverse anything, I will just have to perform components calculation as usual

If I am subtracting vectors (i.e. A-B or 2A-B), I will have to reverse the direction of vectors accordingly and apply any multiplication to a vector (i.e. doubling or tripling) as necessary

Yes.

thank you very much~!

1. What is displacement?

Displacement refers to the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its initial location to its final location.

2. How do I calculate displacement?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position and final position of the object. Then, you can subtract the initial position from the final position to get the displacement.

3. What is the formula for displacement?

The formula for displacement is: displacement = final position - initial position

4. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative. This means that the final position is behind the initial position, indicating that the object has moved in the opposite direction.

5. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that includes both distance and direction, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the amount of ground covered by an object.