Complex Analysis: Solve Last Question in Section 1.3

In summary: Therefore, we can use complex variables to relate the motion of arm c to that of arm a. In summary, by using complex variables and the law of cosines, we can express the angular position, velocity, and acceleration of arm c in terms of those of arm a.
skilambi
Hi All,

I am trying to learn complex analysis on my own and for this I have chosen Fundamentals of Complex Analysis by Saff and Snider. I am stuck at the last question in section 1.3 which is as follows.

For the linkage illustrated in the figure, use complex variables to outline a scheme for expressing the angular position, velocity and acceleration of arm c in terms of those of arm a.

As an attempt to the solution, this is what I have thought of so far.

Let the arm a be dictated by the complex variable Za, similarly Zb for b and Zc for c. Also since the distance between the bottom of a and c is fixed (a + b - c), we can say

Za + Zb = Zc + (a+b-c). (Parallelogram law)

However I am not sure of what comes next as I am not sure what Zb is. How can i proceed? To express Zc with respect to Za, I will somehow need to know what Zb is in terms of Za. But how do I do that?

The figure is in this thread

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=547863

SMK.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solution:The angular position of each arm can be expressed in terms of the complex variable Za. Since arm a and b are connected, we can use the law of cosines to express Zb as a function of Za: Zb = Za + 2ab cos(theta) where theta is the angle between arm a and b. Then, using the parallelogram law, we can express Zc in terms of Za and theta: Zc = Za + 2ab cos(theta) + (a+b-c) For the velocity and acceleration of arm c, we can take the derivatives of the above equation with respect to time. This will give us an expression for the velocity and acceleration of arm c in terms of the velocity and acceleration of arm a.

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the manipulation and understanding of complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component.

2. What is the last question in Section 1.3 of Complex Analysis?

The last question in Section 1.3 of Complex Analysis typically involves solving a given problem using the techniques and concepts learned in that section. It may require the use of complex numbers, functions, and other mathematical tools.

3. How can I approach solving the last question in Section 1.3?

The best approach to solving the last question in Section 1.3 of Complex Analysis is to first carefully read and understand the problem, then identify the relevant concepts and techniques that can be used to solve it. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to use visual aids or diagrams if necessary.

4. Are there any tips for solving complex analysis problems?

One helpful tip for solving complex analysis problems is to practice regularly and to familiarize yourself with the properties and rules of complex numbers and functions. It is also beneficial to work through examples and exercises to gain a better understanding of the concepts and techniques involved.

5. What is the importance of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to solve problems involving complex phenomena such as electrical currents, fluid flow, and quantum mechanics. It also plays a crucial role in the development of other mathematical theories and concepts.