How can I use integration by parts to solve this indefinite integral?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
razorlead
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Indefinite Integral (x^3)(e^x)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know I need to substitute t=x^2

t^(3/2)e^sqrt(t)

U=e^sqrt(t)
du=e^sqrt(t) dt

dv=t^(3/2)
V= (5/2)t^(5/2)

Because it has an exponential function, I know I need to use the trick of running parts twice and then setting the two parts equal to each other, but I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help

Razorlead
 
Physics news on Phys.org
razorlead said:

Homework Statement



Indefinite Integral (x^3)(e^x)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know I need to substitute t=x^2

t^(3/2)e^sqrt(t)

U=e^sqrt(t)
du=e^sqrt(t) dt

dv=t^(3/2)
V= (5/2)t^(5/2)

Because it has an exponential function, I know I need to use the trick of running parts twice and then setting the two parts equal to each other, but I'm stuck.
No, that isn't it.
Let u = x3, dv = exdx
That will get you to an integral involving x2 and ex.

Do integration by parts again, with u = x2 and dv = exdx. That will get you to an integral involving x and e2.

Do you see where I'm going with this?
 
The substitution isn't helping. Go for parts first. Try dv=e^x*dx, u=x^3. If you've got that right it's made the problem easier. And, yes, I think you'll need to do it twice more before you get rid of the last integral.