Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I Use percent_dV(z) to calculate dV(t) in a geometry(z)?

1. Jun 23, 2015 #1
    So, I have a solution script that predicts how much the volume of a fluid will change as a function of z ... this is a magma expanding as gas in solution is depressurized, if that problem sounds strange. :)

Now, the REST of my problem is that this magma is filling a tall, thin ellipsoid stretching from z = 6000 m (depth in the Earth) to z = 800 m at some rate Q such that the volume of magma in this ellipsoid (which expands like a balloon to be the size of the magma) at any given time = Q * t (where t = time the magma has been running intp the system.

I'd like to write a script that describes the expansion of that final volume (Q * t) over the depth using the first solution, which is ...

(dV% = density_1/density_2)
    density_2 = density_gas/mass_frac_of_gas + density_water/mass_frac_water + density_1/mass_frac_magma

... I guess what I want is a graph showing total change in volume over time at some given Q, taking into account expansion as a matter of depth and the geometry of this ellipsoid spread out over that depth.

I am just exhausted this week and even though I know there is a straightforward solution, I don't seem to have the available brain cells to put it together. Ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook