How can I Use percent_dV(z) to calculate dV(t) in a geometry(z)?

• Thread starter @PinkGeology
  • Start date
In summary: This will take into account the expansion of the magma as well as the geometry of the ellipsoid spread out over the depth. In summary, to solve this problem you can use numerical integration to calculate the total volume change at each depth, and then plot it on a graph to visualize the expansion of the final volume over time.
@PinkGeology
So, I have a solution script that predicts how much the volume of a fluid will change as a function of z ... this is a magma expanding as gas in solution is depressurized, if that problem sounds strange. :)

Now, the REST of my problem is that this magma is filling a tall, thin ellipsoid stretching from z = 6000 m (depth in the Earth) to z = 800 m at some rate Q such that the volume of magma in this ellipsoid (which expands like a balloon to be the size of the magma) at any given time = Q * t (where t = time the magma has been running intp the system.

I'd like to write a script that describes the expansion of that final volume (Q * t) over the depth using the first solution, which is ...

(dV% = density_1/density_2)
density_2 = density_gas/mass_frac_of_gas + density_water/mass_frac_water + density_1/mass_frac_magma

... I guess what I want is a graph showing total change in volume over time at some given Q, taking into account expansion as a matter of depth and the geometry of this ellipsoid spread out over that depth.

I am just exhausted this week and even though I know there is a straightforward solution, I don't seem to have the available brain cells to put it together. Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to approach this problem would be to use numerical integration. You need to calculate the change in volume at each depth, and then add them up to get the total change in volume over the entire depth range (from 6000 m to 800 m).You could use a numerical integration method such as the Trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule to calculate the area under the curve of the volume change at each depth. This should give you the total volume change over time at some given Q.Once you have the total volume change over time at some given Q, you can plot it on a graph to show the expansion of the final volume (Q * t) over the depth.

Related to How can I Use percent_dV(z) to calculate dV(t) in a geometry(z)?

1. What is percent_dV(z) and how is it related to dV(t)?

Percent_dV(z) is a measure of the change in volume over a specific distance or depth (z) in a given geometry. It is related to dV(t) by the formula dV(t) = percent_dV(z) * V(t), where V(t) is the total volume at time t.

2. How can I calculate percent_dV(z) in a geometry(z)?

To calculate percent_dV(z), you will need to measure the volume at multiple depths or distances (z) in the geometry. Then, you can use the formula percent_dV(z) = (V(z2) - V(z1)) / V(z1), where V(z2) is the volume at a specific depth or distance and V(z1) is the volume at a reference point.

3. Can percent_dV(z) be used for any type of geometry?

Yes, percent_dV(z) can be used for any type of geometry as long as the volume at different depths or distances can be accurately measured. It is commonly used in geology and hydrology studies, but can also be applied to other fields such as engineering and biology.

4. How accurate is percent_dV(z) in calculating dV(t)?

The accuracy of percent_dV(z) in calculating dV(t) depends on the accuracy of the volume measurements at different depths or distances and the overall geometry of the system. The more precise the measurements and the simpler the geometry, the more accurate the calculation will be.

5. Are there any limitations to using percent_dV(z) to calculate dV(t)?

One limitation of using percent_dV(z) is that it assumes a linear relationship between the change in volume and depth or distance. If the geometry is complex or the volume changes non-linearly, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected. Additionally, percent_dV(z) may not be suitable for systems with highly variable or irregular volume distributions.