Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can images dimention be larger than the domains?

1. May 21, 2004 #1
    I'm lost! My book of topology says that its possible to construct a (continuous!) function f:[0,1] -> R^n such that the image is
    a ball {x: |x|<=1}
    I can't imagine how is it any possible to do such things. The book doesn't give any example or prove of it. It's just a comment. Any ideas? I can't solve this even for n=2.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2004 #2
    Those are space-filling curves.

Constructing them usually involves creating a curve with a fractal-style algorithm and showing that as the number of iterations goes to infinity you get a continuous curve that fills the entire space.

4. May 22, 2004 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is, of course, a function that is not differentiable at any point so it is really nasty!

5. May 23, 2004 #4
    I liked it when I first saw that stuff! Perhaps that makes me a nasty guy :devil:

Vadik, do a google search on "Peano curve"; those examples request at least a page of calculation, too big to post it in here. But thank god once you've done it for n=2 other examples can easily be made up.

What these functions show is that you can parameterize higher-dimensional manifolds with one parameter - but never in a homeomorphic way.

6. Jul 23, 2004 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

this was also thought impossible by mathematicians of the 19th century until peano i guess showed otherwise.

to start just subdivide a square into 4 parts and conect the centers of the 4 quarters.

then subdivide each quarter further into quarters, i.e. 16ths of the original square and connect the centers of all 16 small squares.

continue like this and you will have as a limit a curve that passes through a dense set of points of your square. but since the image of the curve is closed, it will pass through every point of the square!

a good (make that great) book discussing this, and many other wonderful things, is hilbert and cohn vossen, geometry and the imagination, written for the general public!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?