How can poles and zeros help in filter design and control systems?

• Thread starter edmondng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poles
In summary, the poles and zeros can tell you the system response, characteristic and you can do lots with it from filter design to controls.
edmondng
Hi,

I'm trying to gain a better understanding on poles and zeros. Seems everywhere i read it says the poles and zeros can tell you the system response, characteristic and you can do lots with it from filter design to controls. Its a broad area but was hoping someone can provide further information to enhance my understanding like.

Some questions:-
-Why do you always want the poles to be on the left hand side of the complex plane? Do you always want poles to be on the left hand side of the plane?
-How can you design filters from the poles/zeros. Is there a direct relationship between resistors/caps/inductors to poles zeros? Let's say i have an equation for my transfer function , can you pick values for the resistors/inductors/caps to make the n-order filter?
-How do you tell the stability/poles zeros of a control system? I don't see how you can come up with an equation to look at the poles/zeros of a system.
-The closer to a pole means higher gain/amplitude while closer to a zero means lower gain/amplitude.
-A reactive component like caps/inductors produces 1 pole. So if you want a 5 pole system you can get away with 'T' like figure (combine with inductor/resistor) with 2 extra caps on each side of the 'T', for a total of 5 caps. But how do you find the values based on your desired cutoff frequency?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
edmondng said:
-Why do you always want the poles to be on the left hand side of the complex plane? Do you always want poles to be on the left hand side of the plane?

Poles in the right half plane correspond to growing amplitudes; for example, a sine wave that keeps getting louder and louder without bound. That's unstable. Poles in the left half plane correspond to exponentially decreasing amplitudes.

-How can you design filters from the poles/zeros. Is there a direct relationship between resistors/caps/inductors to poles zeros? Let's say i have an equation for my transfer function , can you pick values for the resistors/inductors/caps to make the n-order filter?

Essentially, every reactive element (capacitor or inductor) adds a pole or zero to the transfer function, depending upon how you wire it up. You can indeed go directly from a transfer function to an implementation with discrete RC or RL networks. Normally, you need op-amps or other circuitry to keep one stage from loading the others.

-How do you tell the stability/poles zeros of a control system? I don't see how you can come up with an equation to look at the poles/zeros of a system.

If you have a transfer function, you have everything you can possibly know about your system. You can easily find the frequencies for which the response is zero -- these are the zeroes, of course. Same for the poles.

-The closer to a pole means higher gain/amplitude while closer to a zero means lower gain/amplitude.

Essentially, yes.

-A reactive component like caps/inductors produces 1 pole. So if you want a 5 pole system you can get away with 'T' like figure (combine with inductor/resistor) with 2 extra caps on each side of the 'T', for a total of 5 caps. But how do you find the values based on your desired cutoff frequency?

Again, in practice you would generally isolate each stage from the others with an op-amp or buffer of some kind. Look at the Sallen-Key active filter configuration; it is popular in industry.

- Warren

Related to How can poles and zeros help in filter design and control systems?

1. What are poles and zeros?

Poles and zeros are key concepts in control systems and signal processing. They represent the locations in the complex plane where the response of a system is infinite (poles) or zero (zeros).

2. How do poles and zeros affect the stability of a system?

Poles and zeros play a crucial role in determining the stability of a system. If all poles are located in the left half of the complex plane, the system is stable. However, if any poles are in the right half, the system is unstable. Zeros can also affect stability, depending on their location.

3. How can poles and zeros be calculated or determined?

Poles and zeros can be calculated using mathematical methods such as the transfer function or state-space representation of a system. They can also be determined experimentally through frequency response analysis or using a specialized tool called a pole-zero plotter.

4. What is the significance of the number of poles and zeros in a system?

The number of poles and zeros directly affects the complexity and behavior of a system. A higher number of poles and zeros can lead to more intricate responses and potentially more difficult control. Additionally, the locations of the poles and zeros can provide insight into the dynamics of a system.

5. How do poles and zeros relate to frequency response?

Poles and zeros are closely related to the frequency response of a system. The location of poles and zeros dictates the shape and behavior of the frequency response. For example, poles near the imaginary axis can result in resonances, while zeros near the origin can cause high-frequency attenuation.