How Can Radioactive Decay and Distance Formulas Be Combined in Physics?

In summary, the formula for radioactive decay over time is N = N0eλt . The formula for how many number of atoms counted by the Geiger as distance (x) changes is C = k/x2. These two formulas can be multiplied together to account for both distance and time, with the resulting formula being proportional to both eλt and 1/x
piisexactly3
The formula for radioactive decay over time is N = N0eλt . The formula for how many number of atoms counted by the Geiger as distance (x) changes is C = k/x2. How can I merge these formulas to give one that accounts for distance and time? Secondly, how does the second formula work realistically given that C would tend to infinity as x decreases?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi piisexactly3! :smile:
piisexactly3 said:
The formula for radioactive decay over time is N = N0eλt . The formula for how many number of atoms counted by the Geiger as distance (x) changes is C = k/x2. How can I merge these formulas to give one that accounts for distance and time?

you simply multiply them …

the formula will be proportional to both eλt and 1/x2
Secondly, how does the second formula work realistically given that C would tend to infinity as x decreases?

the geiger counter has a finite width w, which you assume is at a constant distance x from the source

when 2πx = w, the counter would need to be wrapped all the way round the source (360°)

and when 2πx = w/n the counter would need to be wrapped round it n times! :wink:

Ok maybe I'm understanding this. You're saying that if the geiger counter was shaped like a sphere encasing the source and detecting every emmission, the k/x^2 formula would not hold true. But because it is a tube and cannot detect everything, the formula works and we don't get an infinite number of atoms detected?

When I times N0eλt by k/x2, I get N2 = N0eλtkx-2 .
So what exactly is the constant k, does it involve use of the actual numbers of atoms there, as I don't see how we can derive how much the distance x is decreasing the detections by without knowing how many atoms there actually are, and I don't see how the k/x2 formula uses that information... Unless k is N0eλt? So how can I incorporate information about the width of the tube to ensure that this formula doesn't tend to infinity as x tends to 0?

I may have gone totally off track so sorry if I am fustrating you!

Last edited:
hi piisexactly3! :smile:
piisexactly3 said:
Ok maybe I'm understanding this. You're saying that if the geiger counter was shaped like a sphere encasing the source and detecting every emmission, the k/x^2 formula would not hold true.

no, I'm saying it would hold true …

if its surface area was exactly enough to fit round the source once at that radius, it would count every emission

if we choose a radius n times smaller, so that the geiger counter's surface area is enough to wrap round the source n2 times, it will count every emission n2 times (once for every layer) …

so the k/x2 formula does work! :wink:
…So how can I incorporate information about the width of the tube to ensure that this formula doesn't tend to infinity as x tends to 0?

i don't think the geiger counter is intended to be used that close to the source: if it is, the k/x2 formula certainly doesn't work (the count doesn't go off to ∞), and you'd need to do some horrible integration

Likes 1 person

I would like to clarify that the first formula, N = N0eλt, is used to calculate the number of radioactive atoms remaining after a certain amount of time has passed. It is not directly related to distance.

To merge these formulas, we can use the concept of activity (A), which represents the rate at which the number of radioactive atoms decreases over time. This can be calculated by taking the derivative of N with respect to time (t):

A = -dN/dt = λN0eλt

We can then substitute this value for N in the second formula, C = k/x2, to get:

A = -dC/dx = k/x2

Rearranging this equation, we get:

dC = -k/x2 dx

Integrating both sides with respect to x, we get:

C = k/x + C0

Where C0 is a constant of integration. This equation takes into account both distance (x) and time (t) as C will change as x and t change.

Regarding the second part of the question, it is important to note that the formula C = k/x2 is a simplified model and does not account for all factors that may affect the readings of a Geiger counter. In reality, there are limitations to how close a Geiger counter can be placed to a radioactive source before it becomes saturated and gives inaccurate readings. Additionally, other factors such as shielding and environmental conditions can also affect the readings. Therefore, while this formula may provide a general understanding, it may not hold true in all situations and should be used with caution.

Related to How Can Radioactive Decay and Distance Formulas Be Combined in Physics?

1. What is the radioactive decay formula?

The radioactive decay formula is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which a radioactive substance decays over time. It is typically written as A=A0e-λt, where A is the amount of remaining radioactive substance, A0 is the initial amount, λ is the decay constant, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How is the decay constant determined?

The decay constant, denoted as λ, is a characteristic property of each radioactive substance and is determined through experimentation. It is a measure of how quickly a substance decays and is typically expressed in units of inverse time (e.g. per second).

3. What factors can affect the rate of radioactive decay?

The rate of radioactive decay can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances. Additionally, some radioactive isotopes may have a different decay rate than others due to their unique nuclear properties.

4. How is the half-life of a substance related to the decay constant?

The half-life of a radioactive substance is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount to decay. It is related to the decay constant by the equation t1/2 = ln(2)/λ. In other words, the half-life is inversely proportional to the decay constant.

5. Can the radioactive decay formula be used to predict when a substance will completely decay?

No, the radioactive decay formula can only be used to predict the amount of remaining substance at a given time. It is impossible to predict exactly when a substance will completely decay, as the decay process is random and cannot be controlled.