Understand Sin(-θ)=-Sinθ | Tricky Math Concept

• Thread starter Sparer
  • Start date
In summary, when cos(-θ)=cosθ, it is because the cosine function is an even function, meaning that it remains the same when the sign of the argument is changed. This can be seen through the geometric definition of cos as the adjacent over the hypotenuse, where the adjacent remains the same but the opposite changes sign. It can also be seen through the exponential or Taylor series definitions of cos, where even powers result in the same value when the sign is changed. In contrast, the sine function is an odd function, meaning that it changes sign when the argument is changed from θ to -θ. This can be seen through the geometric definition of sin as the opposite over the hypotenuse, where the opposite changes sign
Sparer
I'm having a hard time understanding this concept when cos(-θ)=cosθ . It doesn't seem to make sense.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Take a look at the graph. It should be pretty clear from looking at the graphs that sin is an odd function, while cos is an even function.

Alternatively, think of the unit circle, and what it means to have a (small i.e. <90 degrees)) ##-\theta##. This means you're going below the x-axis instead of above it. In this case, the opposite side (for sin) goes below the x-axis, and the y-value is negative, while the adjacent side (for cos) still goes to the right and the x-value is still positive.

Matterwave said:
Take a look at the graph. It should be pretty clear from looking at the graphs that sin is an odd function, while cos is an even function.

Alternatively, think of the unit circle, and what it means to have a (small i.e. <90 degrees)) ##-\theta##. This means you're going below the x-axis instead of above it. In this case, the opposite side (for sin) goes below the x-axis, and the y-value is negative, while the adjacent side (for cos) still goes to the right and the x-value is still positive.

Now THAT makes sense. I was looking at it from a purely mathematical formula. I did not think of the graph that comes along with it.

Well, although the answer is given- mathematically it depends on how you define the trigonometric functions sin and cos...
The result comes from the geometric meaning of cos and sin being the adjacent and opposite respectively over the hypotenuse... when you have θ and -θ, the adjacent remains the same, while the opposite changes sign- thus the cosine remains the same, while sin will get a minus sign (the hypotenuse has the opposite and adjacent squared, so their sign doesn't play a role)...
[itex] cos (\theta) = \frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse}[/itex]
[itex] cos (-\theta) = \frac{adjacent}{hypotenuse}= cos(\theta) [/itex]
[itex] sin (\theta) = \frac{opposite}{hypotenuse}[/itex]
[itex] sin (-\theta) = \frac{-opposite}{hypotenuse}=-\frac{opposite}{hypotenuse}=-sin (\theta)[/itex]Another way to see it, is by their definition through exponentials with imaginary powers...

[itex] sin(\theta)= \frac{e^{i \theta} - e^{-i \theta}}{2i}[/itex]

[itex] sin(-\theta)= \frac{e^{-i \theta} - e^{i \theta}}{2i}=- \frac{e^{i \theta} - e^{-i \theta}}{2i}=-sin(\theta)[/itex]

[itex] cos(\theta)= \frac{e^{i \theta} + e^{-i \theta}}{2}[/itex]

[itex] cos(-\theta)= \frac{e^{-i \theta} + e^{i \theta}}{2}= \frac{e^{i \theta} + e^{-i \theta}}{2}=cos(\theta)[/itex]Another way is through defining them with as sums (taylor expansion)

[itex] sin(\theta)= \sum_{n=1}^{∞} (-1)^{n+1} \frac{\theta^{2n-1}}{(2n-1)\factorial}[/itex]

changing θ to -θ you will get a minus overall because [itex](-1)^{odd} =-1[/itex]

For cos you have even powers, so it will bring about +1, remaining the same

Another way of seeing the Taylor series, is looking at the function of sin and cos as a general odd or even functions, which under the change of sign of their arguments will give an overall - or + (respectively) sign...
[itex] f(-x)=-f(x) , f(x) odd[/itex]
[itex] f(-x)=f(x) , f(x) even[/itex]
This becomes obvious for cos and sin when you look at their graphs...

Also things can be seen by the unit circle which sin and cos "draw" on a plane (that is closely associated with the exponentials I gave above, because of Euler's formula).
you have that [itex] sin^{2} \theta + cos^{2} \theta=1[/itex]
this is closely related to having the module of a vector equal to unity, thus the vector "draws" a unit circle. Making this assumption, you can set [itex] x= cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]y= sin \theta [/itex] and you will have:
[itex]x^{2} +y^{2}=1[/itex]
if you put x,y as vector components: [itex] \vec{R}= x \vec{e}_{x} + y \vec{e}_{y}[/itex]
you have:
[itex] |\vec{R}|^2 = 1[/itex]
and R's x component represents the cos and y component represents the sin...
Going around the circle, you can see that for [itex]\theta[/itex] angle over the x-axis and for [itex]-\theta[/itex] angle which is under the x-axis, the vector R (starting from origin and reaching the unit circle) has the same x component but opposite y components...

Last edited:

Related to Understand Sin(-θ)=-Sinθ | Tricky Math Concept

What is the concept of "Understand Sin(-θ)=-Sinθ"?

The concept of "Understand Sin(-θ)=-Sinθ" is a mathematical rule that states that the sine of a negative angle (θ) is equal to the negative sine of the same angle (θ). This means that the sine function is an odd function, which means that it is symmetric about the origin.

Why is it important to understand this concept?

Understanding this concept is important because it allows us to find the value of the sine function for any angle, whether positive or negative. It also helps us to understand the symmetry of the sine function and how it relates to other trigonometric functions.

How can this concept be applied in real life?

This concept can be applied in fields like engineering, physics, and astronomy, where angles and trigonometric functions are used to solve real-world problems. For example, in engineering, this concept can be used to calculate the forces acting on a structure or object at different angles.

What are some common misconceptions about this concept?

One common misconception about this concept is that the sine function only applies to right triangles. However, the sine function can be used for any angle, whether it is a right angle or not. Another misconception is that the sine of a negative angle is always negative, but this only applies when the angle is in the third or fourth quadrant.

How can one practice and improve their understanding of this concept?

One can practice and improve their understanding of this concept by solving various trigonometric problems, both in theoretical and practical settings. Practicing with different types of angles and functions can help to solidify the concept and improve problem-solving skills. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or studying related materials can also aid in understanding this concept better.