How can the equation of a plane determined by two lines be found?

• Thread starter zacman2400
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane
In summary, to find the line of intersection of two planes, we can use the cross product of their normal vectors to determine the direction of the intersecting line. From there, we can choose any point on each of the lines and use their position vectors to find a vector in the plane. Finally, using the cross product of this vector and the direction vector of the lines, we can find a vector perpendicular to the plane.
zacman2400

Homework Statement

Prove that the line of intersection of the planes x+2y-z=2 and 3x+2y+2z=7 is parallel to the line x=1+6t, y=3-5t, z=2-4t. find an equation of the plane determined by the two lines

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/
cross product of n1 by n2 to determine direction of intersecting line, that answer is
(6,-5,-4) which is parallel to l2 as its direction vector is the same so the scalar c=1, thus parallel. From here, I let x=0 in both plane 1 and 2 to determine a position vector for my intersecting line, thus
2y-z=2 and 2y+2z=7
z=2y-2 so y=11/6 and z=10/6, x=0
thus the intersecting line is determined by r=(0,11/6,10/6)+t(6,-5,-4)
now is where I get stuck. Intuitively, I want to find one point p on r say the position vector
(0,11/6,10/6), then find two point p1, p2 on l2, then find two vectors pp1, pp2, cross product them, and find my answer...unfortunately this doesn't work thus after an hour of frustration I beg for help

Physics news on Phys.org
zacman2400 said:
thus the intersecting line is determined by r=(0,11/6,10/6)+t(6,-5,-4)

this is correct.

zacman2400 said:
now is where I get stuck. Intuitively, I want to find one point p on r say the position vector
(0,11/6,10/6), then find two point p1, p2 on l2, then find two vectors pp1, pp2, cross product them, and find my answer...unfortunately this doesn't work thus after an hour of frustration I beg for help

:confused: I am not sure what you are doing here. You already found the line of intersection between the two planes. What exactly are you trying to do?

I am trying to find a plane that contains (I presume that is one what determines means) these two lines

Choose any point on the first line, say t= 0, which gives (1, 3, 2). Choose any point on the second line, say t= 0, which gives (0, 11/6, 10/6). Then the vector from (0, 11/6, 10/6) to (1, 3, 2), <1, 7/6, 2/6> is a vector in the plane. Now, you don't need another point because you know the direction vector of both lines, <6, -5, -4> is also in the plane. Use the cross product of those two vectors to find a vector perpendicular to the plane.

Related to How can the equation of a plane determined by two lines be found?

What is the cause of flight delays and cancellations?

Flight delays and cancellations can be caused by a variety of factors such as bad weather, mechanical issues with the plane, air traffic congestion, or crew scheduling issues.

Why do I have to arrive at the airport so early for my flight?

Arriving early at the airport allows time for check-in, security screenings, and boarding procedures. It also allows for any unexpected delays that may occur.

What is turbulence and is it dangerous?

Turbulence is caused by changes in air currents and can feel like a bumpy ride. While it may be uncomfortable for passengers, it is not typically dangerous for the plane. Pilots are trained to navigate through turbulence safely.

Why do I have to turn off electronic devices during takeoff and landing?

Electronic devices can interfere with the plane's navigation and communication systems, so it is important to turn them off during critical phases of the flight. However, some airlines now allow the use of certain devices in airplane mode during the entire flight.

What happens if I miss my connecting flight?

If you miss your connecting flight due to a delay or cancellation of your first flight, the airline will typically rebook you on the next available flight. However, it is always best to arrive at the airport early and allow enough time between flights to prevent missing a connection.