How Can Two Confocal Conics Pass Through a Single Point?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conics
In summary: Since product of roots is +ve and sum of roots is also +ve this means both roots must be +ve. Now c^2 must lie between the roots. This means f(c^2)<0. Plugging in c^2 in the original equation and simplifying I get f(c^2) = -c^2y^2 which is <0. So the required conditions are met. Tell me if this is correct or...Yes this is correct.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Through a given point in the plane of an ellipse prove that exactly two conics (one eliipse and the other hyperbola) confocal with the given ellipse can be drawn.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the equation of given ellipse be
[itex]\dfrac{x^2}{a^2}+\dfrac{y^2}{b^2} = 1 [/itex]

The equation of confocals with this ellipse is
[itex] \dfrac{x^2}{a^2+\lambda}+\dfrac{y^2}{b^2+\lambda} = 1 [/itex]

Let the given point be (α,β).
But I have no idea how to proceed now? Should I substitute the given point in the equation to the confocals?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall: you are trying to find the equations of all the conic sections confocal with the ellipse given which also goes through point ##(\alpha,\beta)## ... you are expecting to find two of them.

You already have the equation for all conic sections confocal with the given ellipse... a particular confocal conic section will have a particular value of ##\lambda##.

Simon Bridge said:
Recall: you are trying to find the equations of all the conic sections confocal with the ellipse given which also goes through point ##(\alpha,\beta)## ... you are expecting to find two of them.

You already have the equation for all conic sections confocal with the given ellipse... a particular confocal conic section will have a particular value of ##\lambda##.

Does that mean I need to substitute the point in the equation of confocal and find λ from it?

utkarshakash said:
Does that mean I need to substitute the point in the equation of confocal and find λ from it?

Yes. You can see this will give you a quadratic in lambda, so two solutions, as desired.

haruspex said:
Yes. You can see this will give you a quadratic in lambda, so two solutions, as desired.

[itex] \lambda^2 + \lambda(a^2+b^2-\alpha^2-\beta^2)+(a^2b^2-\alpha^2b^2-a^2\beta^2)=0[/itex]

Don't expect me to solve this equation... :cry:

Solving for lambda is easy - it's just a quadratic. OK, you get a fairly messy expression, but it is a pair of solutions, as required. It remains to show that one is an ellipse and the other a hyperbola.

I don't think solving the equation is the best way to get the information you need. Write it in a little bit different form first. Suppose a>b and put c^2=a^2-b^2.

[tex]\dfrac{x^2}{\lambda}+\dfrac{y^2}{\lambda-c^2} = 1[/tex]

Your original conic is then the case lambda=a^2. Now you can see that if lambda>c^2, you have an ellipse and if 0<lambda<c^2 you have a hyperbola. Now if you turn that equation into a quadratic, your job is to show the equation has two positive roots, one of them larger than c^2 and one less than c^2. I think you've done a few problems before like this. There are tricks that don't involve staring at the quadratic formula.

Last edited:
Dick said:
I don't think solving the equation is the best way to get the information you need. Write it in a little bit different form first. Suppose a>b and put c^2=a^2-b^2.

Your original conic is then the case lambda=a^2. Now you can see that if lambda>c^2, you have an ellipse and if 0<lambda<c^2 you have a hyperbola. Now if you turn that equation into a quadratic, your job is to show the equation has two positive roots, one of them larger than c^2 and one less than c^2. I think you've done a few problems before like this. There are tricks that don't involve staring at the quadratic formula.

Yes your expression seems very neat and your trick too is appreciable. Let me try out this.

Dick said:

OK I did what you said and got the following results

First I converted it into a quadratic

[itex]\lambda^2 - \lambda (x^2+y^2+c^2)+c^2x^2 = 0 [/itex]

Now I investigate the nature of roots. Since product of roots is +ve and sum of roots is also +ve this means both roots must be +ve. Now c^2 must lie between the roots. This means f(c^2)<0. Plugging in c^2 in the original equation and simplifying I get f(c^2) = -c^2y^2 which is <0. So the required conditions are met. Tell me if this is correct or not.

utkarshakash said:
OK I did what you said and got the following results

First I converted it into a quadratic

[itex]\lambda^2 - \lambda (x^2+y^2+c^2)+c^2x^2 = 0 [/itex]

Now I investigate the nature of roots. Since product of roots is +ve and sum of roots is also +ve this means both roots must be +ve. Now c^2 must lie between the roots. This means f(c^2)<0. Plugging in c^2 in the original equation and simplifying I get f(c^2) = -c^2y^2 which is <0. So the required conditions are met. Tell me if this is correct or not.

Sure. That's right. You might notice things go a little wrong if x=0 or y=0. The hyperbola becomes degenerate. Also the first argument is assuming that the two roots are real. They may be complex conjugates and still have positive product and sum. But you can use the f(c^2)<0 argument to fill that in.

Last edited:
Of course, as phrased, you don't have to show that there are only those two curves that fit the criteria.

You can find the foci of an ellipse given the semi-axes a and b.
Knowing the foci and one point on the curve, you can find the equations for a hyperbola and an ellipse.

Naturally there can be only the two - there are only two kinds of conic section which have two foci anyway so it becomes a matter of showing that the point provides a unique solution for each type?

Simon Bridge said:
Of course, as phrased, you don't have to show that there are only those two curves that fit the criteria.

You can find the foci of an ellipse given the semi-axes a and b.
Knowing the foci and one point on the curve, you can find the equations for a hyperbola and an ellipse.

Naturally there can be only the two - there are only two kinds of conic section which have two foci anyway so it becomes a matter of showing that the point provides a unique solution for each type?

I think that is what we just showed. Sure, you can take the geometric approach. Works fine. But I just knew from looking at some of utkarshakash's past posts there has been a lot of stuff about determining properties of roots. Thought we should continue that way.

Related to How Can Two Confocal Conics Pass Through a Single Point?

What is the Confocal Conics Problem?

The Confocal Conics Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the common tangents of two conic sections that share the same foci. It was first proposed by French mathematician Gilles Personne de Roberval in the 17th century.

What are conic sections?

Conic sections are curves that are formed by the intersection of a plane and a right circular cone. The different types of conic sections include circles, ellipses, parabolas, and hyperbolas.

What are the foci of a conic section?

The foci of a conic section are two fixed points that determine the shape of the curve. The distance between the foci and any point on the curve is constant, which is known as the eccentricity of the conic section.

Why is the Confocal Conics Problem important?

The Confocal Conics Problem has practical applications in optics, specifically in designing reflective surfaces for telescope and satellite mirrors. It also has implications in other fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What are some strategies for solving the Confocal Conics Problem?

Some strategies for solving the Confocal Conics Problem include using geometric constructions, algebraic equations, and calculus. Other techniques involve using properties of conic sections, such as the angle of reflection being equal to the angle of incidence for reflective surfaces.