How can voltage flow in a open circuit

In summary: R = 0.In summary, voltage does not flow in an open circuit as it is the current that flows. In an open circuit, the voltage is not zero, but rather undefined due to the infinite resistance. A capacitor can still have a voltage difference even when no current flows, and this is because it can accept charge as long as there is a potential difference between its terminals. In some cases, a voltage can be said to flow in the form of a traveling voltage wave down a wire, but this is not the typical case in DC steady-state circuits.
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,

I am wondering how voltage can flow in an open circuit as I = 0 so surely V=IR; V = 0*R so V = 0

I know it does as when a capacitor is fully charged no current flows yet there is a voltage.

I'm about confused thanks!

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Voltage doesn't flow. Current flows.

Current flows when there is a potential difference between two points and a conductive path between them. If the potentials at the two points are equal then no current flows.

A capacitor will accept charge (current will flow) so long as its potential difference is different than the potential difference across where it connects in the circuit if the capacitor happened to be removed (the "open terminal" potential difference).

If you think about it, a battery that's not connected to anything also maintains a potential difference between its terminals, yet no current flows.

I think you need to be clear about what you mean by "voltage flow".
In the case of a charged capacitor, would you really say that a voltage is flowing? Where is it going?
You would usually talk about a current flowing.

In the capacitor example, while it is charging, a current does flow - even though there is literally a break in the circuit. Can you see how this can be?

It is technically possible to have a signal represented as a voltage changing with time and position along a wire.
In this way it is possible to set up a traveling voltage wave in the wire - so, in this sense a voltage can be said to flow.
It is possible to send such a wave down a wire that is not connected to anything just like you can send pressure waves down a pipe.

When you start out learning about electric circuits, you are usually learning about the special case of DC steady-state circuits.
The current and voltage you are no doubt used to are defined with that situation in mind, and, in that situation, no electricity flows when there is an open circuit.

V = 0 Volts is a short circuit, and I = 0 Amps is an open circuit.

In an open circuit, the voltage is not zero because the resistance is infinite. All you know is that voltage = V = IR = 0*infinity. This is a meaningless value, and the equation essentially means the voltage can be any finite number. This is why you can have some voltage at an open circuit and have zero current due to the open circuit being represented by an infinite (or very large) resistance.

Hope this helped to clear things up!

V = 0 Volts is a short circuit, and I = 0 Amps is an open circuit.
... those are usually considered to be the DC consequences of an open or a short circuit - the labels are usually used to describe the physical condition of the circuit.

i.e.
An electric circuit is an "open circuit" if it lacks a complete path between the terminals of its power source.
An electric circuit is a "closed circuit" if it contains a complete path between the positive and negative terminals of its power source.
A short circuit is a type of malfunction of an electrical circuit.
... Wikipedia.

If you have an ideal voltage source connected to a resistor it's a mistake to think that the voltage drop across the resistor is determined by Ohms law. It's better to see it as the ideal voltage source dictating the voltage and then Ohms law dictates the current.

Same applies to an open circuit. The voltage is determined by the voltage source. The current is determined by Ohms law I = V/R = 0

1. How does voltage flow in an open circuit?

Voltage flows in an open circuit due to the presence of an electric field. This electric field is created by a difference in potential energy between two points in the circuit. The voltage, or potential difference, causes a flow of electrons from the higher potential point to the lower potential point, resulting in a flow of current.

2. Can voltage flow in an open circuit without a complete path?

No, voltage cannot flow in an open circuit without a complete path. In order for voltage to flow, there must be a complete circuit for the electrons to travel through. An open circuit, by definition, is a circuit that is incomplete and does not allow for the flow of electrons.

3. How is voltage affected in an open circuit?

In an open circuit, the voltage remains the same throughout the circuit. This is because there is no flow of electrons, and therefore no voltage drop, in an open circuit. The voltage at any point in the circuit will be equal to the voltage of the source.

4. What happens to voltage in an open circuit?

In an open circuit, the voltage remains constant and does not change. This is because there is no current flowing in the circuit, and therefore no voltage drop. The voltage will only change if there is a change in the source voltage.

5. Can an open circuit have voltage?

Yes, an open circuit can have voltage. The voltage is present in the circuit, but there is no flow of electrons, so the voltage remains constant. This can be seen in a battery, where the voltage is present even when the circuit is open. However, without a complete circuit, the voltage cannot be utilized to do work.