How can we consider this one direction?

• Thread starter Misr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the vibrating object passes through the rest position two times in two different directions. The object has the same phase relative to the rest position when it passes through the point twice in the same direction.
Misr
[PLAIN]http://media.tiscali.co.uk/images/feeds/hutchinson/ency/osci0001.jpg

I don't understand the concept of a complete osillation perfectly..I see that the vibrating object passes through the rest position two times in two different diection??How does the object have the same phase relative to the rest position..

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Misr said:

I don't understand the concept of a complete osillation perfectly..I see that the vibrating object passes through the rest position two times in two different diection??How does the object have the same phase relative to the rest position..

Thanks in advance

When I teach this, I stand at the board with a marker in my mark and move my hand up and down regularly. This makes a dark mark on the board. Then, while still raising and lowering the marker, I walk parallel to the board. The marker traces out a sine wave. Can you picture that?

In the same way, a marker attached to the pendulum would trace out a sine wave on a piece of paper that moved under it. This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhG5UceWxLk" sort of gets the idea across, especially if you imagine the pen moving as smoothly as a pendulum.

I think the answer to your question is clear if you focus on the sine wave associated with the pendulum movement. In the situation drawn on the left side of the diagram you posted, the wave would start at a crest at A, pass through the axis, be at a trough at B. cross the axis again and end at a crest at A. That would be one complete oscillation and one complete wavelength (being crest to to descending node to trough to ascending node to crest).

In the the situation drawn on the right, you start at the axis at A, go to the crest at B, back through the axis (A), to the trough at C and once more to the axis at A. That again is one wavelength (ascending node to crest to descending node to trough to ascending node).

Does that answer your question?

And here is a vid of oscillations within oscillations within oscillations which is all plainly started and eventually returns to the beginning release of the pendulums. Can you see the many patterns until the return to the original configuration? Fascinating. http://www.wimp.com/pendulumwaves/"

And synchronizing 5 metronomes that are rate adjusted to the same frequency but NOT released at the same time, do all sync up with a master energy buffer(they are coupled by the common plank on two rollers.) Again fascinating to watch the separate oscillations synchronize together. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1TMZASCR-I"

Misr said:

Thanks in advance

I think two factors you are missing are 'starting point' and the 'direction', whether the ball is moving to the left or right?
In the first picture, ball's motion was from A to B to A. From the 'starting point' A, the ball moves to the 'right'. That is the start of a cycle or oscillation. Everytime the ball moves to the 'right' from point A is start of a new cycle.

In the second picture, ball starts from A then moves to the 'right' to B, then from B to C through A. But this time ball move to the 'left' from A, so this is NOT a start of a new oscillation. Again everytime the ball moves from A to the right is a start of a new cycle.

Note, starting point can be any point between B and C, and direction can be either left or right. As long as you are consistent with 'starting point' and 'direction' you can not miss a cycle.

Well First, Thanks very much,
I can't really imagine what you are talkin bout...I can't just explain my problem in the right way..i
The definition of a complete oscillation is "The motion of a vibrating body through the time interval between passing through one point two consecutive times in one direction"
I think I understand this,but my problem is with the phrase "In one direction"..how come?? If we consider the mass to move
1- From a to b (to the right)
2-From b to a (to the left)
3-from a to c (to the left)
4-From c to a (to the right)
then the mass passed through the point a two times in two different directions during its motion!From b to a (to the left) -- and From c to a (to the right)
Thats completely contradictory

Hope you got a clear picture of my problem now
Thanks very much for ur efforts

When I teach this, I stand at the board with a marker in my mark and move my hand up and down regularly. This makes a dark mark on the board. Then, while still raising and lowering the marker, I walk parallel to the board. The marker traces out a sine wave. Can you picture that?
yes , I can imagine
I think the answer to your question is clear if you focus on the sine wave associated with the pendulum movement.
I don't find the answer in the sine wave of a pendulum..They still different directions
Thanks very much

Misr said:
Well First, Thanks very much,
I can't really imagine what you are talkin bout...I can't just explain my problem in the right way..i
The definition of a complete oscillation is "The motion of a vibrating body through the time interval between passing through one point two consecutive times in one direction"
I think I understand this,but my problem is with the phrase "In one direction"..how come?? If we consider the mass to move
1- From a to b (to the right)
then the mass passed through the point a two times in two different directions during its motion!From b to a (to the left) -- and From c to a (to the right)
Thats completely contradictory

Hope you got a clear picture of my problem now
Thanks very much for ur efforts

I don't see what the problem is.

One complete oscillation is:
b > a > c > a > b (or, if you like, a > c > a > b > a)

It passes through a twice, yes, but in two different directions, so that's not a complete oscillation. An oscillation has not been completed until it passes through a in the same direction, which means, as above, b > a > c > a > b (or, if you like, a > c > a > b > a).misr, what do you think is one complete oscillation?

misr, what do you think is one complete oscillation?
I think it from a--b--a--c---a
Right??but in this case it passed in two different directions

a > c > a > b > a
those are two different direction :(

Using your notation and expanding your example a bit:

0-From c to a (to the right)
1-From a to b (to the right)
5- From a to b (to the right)

So the complete oscillation -according to your definition- has taken place between 1 (starting at a with a swing to the right) and 4 (ending at a with a swing to the right).

Another notation would be:
... (->a) (->b) (a<-) (c<-) (->a) (->b) ...

Misr said:
I think it from a--b--a--c---a
Right??but in this case it passed in two different directions

a > c > a > b > a
those are two different direction :(

Correct. So what's the problem?

Correct. So what's the problem?
O really?I think "one direction" doesn't mean that the body passes through the rest position in the same direction...because it certainly passes through the rest position in two different directions

but it means that the body returns to move in the same direction (having the same phase realative to trhe starting point

so am i on the right way|

Yes. A single oscillation includes passage through A twice, once in each direction.

Just like a sine wave. See attached.

Attachments

• PF20110818_pendulum.jpg
    PF20110818_pendulum.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Yes. A single oscillation includes passage through A twice, once in each direction.

Just like a sine wave. See attached.
Yeah Got it now ..its my textbook again confusing me
Thanks very much this is very helpful

1. How can we determine which direction to take in our research?

There are a few different ways to consider which direction to take in research. One approach is to conduct a literature review to see what has already been studied in the field and identify any gaps or areas that need further exploration. Another approach is to consult with other experts in the field and gather their insights and suggestions. Ultimately, the direction should be based on a combination of these factors and align with the overall goal of the research.

2. What factors should be considered when deciding on a research direction?

There are several important factors to consider when deciding on a research direction. These include the current state of the field and what has already been studied, the feasibility and resources available for the proposed direction, and the potential impact and relevance of the research. It is also important to consider the interests and expertise of the research team and how the chosen direction aligns with their skills and knowledge.

3. How can we ensure that the chosen direction is relevant and important?

To ensure that the chosen direction is relevant and important, it is crucial to conduct a thorough literature review and consult with other experts in the field. This will help to identify any gaps or areas that need further exploration and ensure that the research is not duplicating previous work. Additionally, considering the potential impact and relevance of the research can help to determine if the chosen direction is important and will contribute to the field.

4. What if there are multiple potential directions for our research?

If there are multiple potential directions for research, it is important to carefully weigh the pros and cons of each option. Consider factors such as feasibility, resources, potential impact, and relevance. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts and gather their insights and suggestions. Ultimately, the chosen direction should align with the overall goal of the research and be the most promising option based on these considerations.

5. How can we adapt our research direction if it is not yielding the desired results?

If the chosen research direction is not yielding the desired results, it may be necessary to adapt and make adjustments. This could involve revisiting the research question or hypothesis, changing the methodology, or exploring alternative approaches. It is important to regularly assess and reflect on the progress and outcomes of the research to determine if any changes need to be made to the direction.